Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interested In Experiences With Auction Firms For Selling

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
404 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would be interested in observation/opinions from folks are who have used auction firms recently to dispose of collections or otherwise have knowledge and experience in this area. Was watching the Kelleher auction for the last few days and it appeared to be a bit quiet with a fair number of lots not attracting additional bids or being passed altogether. They are one of the firms I was considering if I decide to dispose of my U.S. collection and focus on other areas.

Any opinions on whether, if my observation is accurate, whether it was the result of the firm, summer doldrums, or the level of material being offered? My collection probably falls at or maybe a bit above what was in this auction. Most of my items of any value were acquired through auctions with the usual firms, almost all above $250 catalog have certs, and a minority are graded. Talking to Siegel at the Omaha stamp show, I have some items that would be in their wheelhouse, so to speak, but not the majority and I don't want to give the rest away in a "back of the auction catalog" lot.

Obviously I will review the collection with appropriate auction firms, and gather relevant info from them, before consigning and will make my own decision if I decide to sell, but was curious whether there any thoughts from experienced folks as to which auction firms would be most appropriate or a dealer that would offer a fair price for a moderately valuable collection? Thanks.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 08/15/2019 5:58 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From an Aussie focus, I'd say or rather, feel, we are in strange times, there is talk here. the US is heading for a recession.
Whatever is really true, my wallet is closed and has been for nearly 3 months,
my dealer has been advertising for customers, first time I have seen this in 10 years.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on what area or areas, that your collection consists of, and the overall nature of the collection (quality, individual item values, etc ...).

Is it general WW? Does it have some specialization?
Valued Member
Learn More...
404 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US only, total cat value around $120-130k, every item F-VF (truly). Includes for example, decent classic representation from #1 & 2; complete Columbians mint except one, complete air mails MNH, some other BOB all mint. Nothing extraordinary or very valuable; classic stamps mostly in the $250-1200 cat value range; the most valuable stamp catalogs maybe $2500.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3396 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kelleher is a good choice. There were quite a few stamps in their US sale this week that came from Siegel sales in the past and realized substantially more at Kelleher. You never know at auction. You can get a 10% seller commission rate at Kelleher for good quality US singles. They have a large and loyal client base. Siegel is also excellent but the quality/centering bar is higher. It is all about quality and when lotting for a US Collectors sale they will take the better of two stamps offered by different people. I cannot think of many others that I would highly recommend for quality US singles. If most of the material is in the Fine to VF category but leaning towards fine it could be a hard sell other than as an album lot with the cherries picked out and it will be harder to convince anybody to lot anything as singles. Certs are key and whether anybody likes it or not graded stamps sell for close to the SMQ value consistently. Also stamps that have the potential to grade well will attract strong bidding. I have sold through Cherrystone, HR Harmer, Siegel and Kelleher and they all have their place. Fastest payment is Harmer and Siegel. Kelleher is longer. Look for business days versus calendar days when reviewing payment terms.

My two cents worth.

Consignment dealers such as Rupp are another option but they want highly graded and/or top quality VF/XF/Superb stamps. Ed at Century Stamps will be fair to you.

Valued Member
Learn More...
404 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your comments so far.

Was being conservative by describing them as F-VF. I would guess 80% would be viewed clearly as VF if not better, only a handful closer to just Fine. Not into grading so I haven't had any of them graded and only have graded certs for stamps I was buying anyway, not for the cert.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 08/15/2019 8:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3396 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they are VF or better as far as centering and fault free both Kelleher and Siegel could accommodate you if they have certs. Certs are key because it makes it easier on everyone. For more expensive items it is worth getting fresh certs yourself first since there is a chance that the purchased stamps will be placed on extension. I am awaiting four stamps from the last Siegel sale that had older certs and are on extension. I told them to get graded certs while they were with the PF since it makes no difference to the process or timeframe and they will sell better if I choose to sell them down the road. Either way it is good to get fresh certs.

You may know all of this but I thought I would chime in.

Contact David Coogle at Kelleher. You may have to work your way through Max but I would get to David. For Siegel work with Andrew Titley. Very good person.

Sadly there are not a lot of choices left that are top notch. Harmer seems to be staging themselves to become a major player again but only time will tell.

For fair treatment from a really, really good dealer contact Christopher Rupp. A nice person and as honest as they come. Ed at Century is also very good but he sells on smaller margins and will pay less to purchase.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6057 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to talk with Rumsey or one of the Harmer houses. Along with the houses already mentioned plus perhaps Cherrystone, there really isn't anyone else these days.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was treated very well by Kelleher - great communication, easy transactions, very respectful. I will never use Rasdale again. They sell volume rather than quality. They misdescribed my lots and refused to talk to me after I signed the consignment agreement and they had possession of my stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3396 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same experience with Rasdale selling some WW. Never again. On top of it all the photos they published were all blurry to the point that you could not even make out the stamps and they stated that they could not do anything about it. A train wreck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1099 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I had a high end US collection like the OPs I'd definitely go to Kelleher. Rasdale is more of a wholesale auctioneer and seems to do a lot of store/dealer close outs. That being said I was watching Rasdale today. The collections and bulk lots were going for about 3X estimates, not too shabby. I wanted 1 item and got it for exactly 3X estimate, now all I can do is hope.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was at Rasdale all day Friday for viewing and for the Saturday's collection lot sales .

As Ken mention those estimates are of no help in fiquring how to bid . Some are down right dreamed up . A lot of material is priced way too low and looks like it is done on purpose to attach bidders or keep buyers in their seats . Two of the lots I purchase was at 4X ESTIMATES .

They or some of their consigners are manufactoring the lots ,there was a whole group of lots made by the same person where all the higher value stamps are defects but counted in the catalog value .

I agree with Ken ,most lots seem to be part of a stamp dealer or store close outs
Valued Member
Learn More...
404 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for all your very helpful comments. I had Kelleher in mind, but the last auction just seemed slow to me, versus the recent Cherrystone auction for example, so I was interested in others' observations. I didn't watch the entire auction so maybe my impression is mistaken.
Valued Member
Learn More...
404 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And, of course, one data point, like the one I'm using, doesn't prove anything.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1099 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   11:48 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with Kelleher is limited to their Quarterly Collections auction. As a bidder I think it's too active and I always pay more than I want. I think it depends whether you want to sell individual stamps or the collection. I think Kelleher will get you the best price for a collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
505 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This email just received from SAN and quite apropos it is:

StampAuctionNetwork
Latest Offers to Consign to Auction, Dealers or Private Treaty
*New* Announcing the new Quick Sell or Consign my Collection to Auction, Dealer, or Private Treaty. (try it here). Auction Firms and Dealers (or StampAuctionNetwork users) Review the offers here..
Auction Firms and Dealers (or StampAuctionNetwork users) Review the Latest offers here..
Newest Offers

West Germany & Berlin, Some post WW II German States Time Frame of Stamps: 1946-2000
United States + Airmail Mint 1930-2000 complete
Canadian Collection in three books, extensive back of the book. Silver Wedding Omnibus
Offers from Last week
United States Flat Plate Booklet Panes by Position and Plate Number (279Bj-319Fq) -- Estimated value $1,800, offered by R Gordon Schmidt (Consign or Sale)
Sanitary Fair Stamps and covers -- $100,000 value (Sell Only)
Previous Offers

German Czechoslovakian Chinese Russian stamp accumulation
US extensive, some mint. Israel seems to be extensive. (no photos yet)
New Zealand - Small accumulation 1915 to 1935
86L1 Humboldt Express used (Sale Only)
160L2 Richwoods Dispatch on cover (Sale Only)
12L2 Fresno and San Francisco Bicycle Mail stamps, covers, reprints, signed copies and proof (Sale Only)
Worldwide collection of Great Britain, Australian, Canadian, Asian on stockpages (Consign or Sale)
PRE-1789: AMERICAN COLONIAL FREE FRANKING MILITARY MAIL (Consign or Sale)
French Stamp Collection -- 107 pages on Stock Pages (Consign or Sale)
US Collection of Washington-Franklin coil pairs, Vending coils and back of the book (Sold private Treaty for $2,500)
New Zealand 1986 Inverted Frama Stamp (Consign or Sale)
Small German Accumulation on Stock Pages. (Consign or Sale)
Auction Firms and Dealers. If you want to be on the pre-distribution list, please reply and ask to be put on the Advance distribution list.

Why StampAuctionNetwork is uniquely positioned to help you sell or consign your collection! Use it to find a buyer for your exhibit.
It is Fast and Easy. If you have been using StampAuctionNetwork to bid and buy at auction, everything is here ready to be prepared to sell.
It is the Best way to demonstrate to an auction firm that you are worth being taken seriously. Since StampAuctionNetwork knows that you are the owner of record, Buyers will take you seriously.
Our Analysis gives you what you need. We can match your consigment up with the auction firms that offer your material for best results.
Your Offer will be Formated for best results. We provide the data to the auction firms so they have what they need.
No obligation. Each auction firm and dealer has their own process to contact you. Your offer will get the greatest visibility.
The Fine Print -- How it (Selling) works
You Create your Offer, when you hit [Publish] we send it out to a curated list of auction firms, dealers, and StampAuctionNetwork buyers
They contact you -- you work out the deal.
After the deal -- you notify us. If an auction firm or dealer sources your offer -- they pay us a finder's fee. You pay nothing.
If you arrange a private treaty with another stamp collector, you each (buyer and seller) pay StampAuctionNetwork 4% with a minumum of $40 each.

Instructions for reviewing these Offers to Sell or Consign.
Each offer contains a general description of the collection and then optionally...
Items that they are the owner of record
Items that they placed bids on at StampAuctionNetwork
Items where they believe they have a similar item that is listed at StampAuctionNetwork
Images that they have loaded.
The Fine Print -- How it (Buying) works
If you are interested contact the potential seller using their email address.
After the deal -- you notify us. If you are auction firm or dealer, you pay us your normal finder's fee.
If you arrange a private treaty with another stamp collector, you each (buyer and seller) pay StampAuctionNetwork 4% with a minumum of $40 each.

Contact me at this email if you would like help with either of these new features.
- Tom Droege
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05