Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found In 3c Small Queen Lot...thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
46 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Lars714 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
found this in a lot of hundreds of Scott 37/41 I recently purchased, does not look like a fake - besides, no reason to be mixed in a lot from overseas. Just thought I would share
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5698 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did Canada have a beaver for a queen? Nonetheless, great stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
960 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They must have had a beaver queen, she's wearing a crown. If you can have a queen bee, why can't you have a queen beaver?

From a size point of view, it's somewhere between a small and large queen (medium queen?)

I'll avoid any further comments about queen beavers, queen's beaver, or beaver queens.

(sorry - the dog had me up a couple of times last night and I'm sleep deprived)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
680 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lars714

Four margins and a light cancel. If genuine it's a keeper.
Pillar Of The Community
3034 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you studying Small Queen stamp perforations, papers?
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jogil - I am working on perfs, town cancels (Nova Scotia), trying to figure out weak town strikes. I enjoy looking through old piles of stamps looking for items that may have eluded hunters in the past. And the 3 cent queens are still cheap! I am pretty sure this stamp is legit.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
680 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lars714

They are known in different shades. Some more desirable than others according to Unitrade. I have one, also found in a box lot, in a slightly different shade.

Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have trouble with colours, so not sure if mine is red or red orange. There are some bumps and blobs but no re-entries. The difference between a Unitrade 1 and 4 is laid vs wove paper. Still learning!
Learn More...
7312 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The trouble is that no one, including Unitrade, ever defines the ambient light when they classify colors. Anyone who has ever walked into the sunshine only to realize that they have mismatched socks or a tie they thought was a different color see the importance that ambient light plays in perceiving colors. If you go to a paint store, ask them how often folks return paint because it did not 'look the same' as the paint chip did in the store. Or next time you go into the grocery store, note how they use lighting in the produce section. They use lighting wave lengths to make certain fruit and veggies colors to 'pop'; these are proven to increase sales. http://www.promolux.com/english/retail_produce.php

So taking gettinold's image, we can emulate the wave lengths to see how the color would change based upon different ambient lighting.

And while ambient lighting is also a factor when viewing color on a monitor, the monitors and video card drivers play a bigger role. For example, Windows 10 and Macs can change the screen 'temperature' on a schedule. Looking at a digital screen before going to bed can interfere with your ability to fall asleep, so the operating systems can remove much of the display's blue wave lengths after XXPM. So if I view the stamp in this thread before 8PM on my monitor, it appears a different color then after 8:01PM.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...r-night-time
Don

Edit: The ambient lighting used with camera images should always be understood to affect the image colors. But even scanner images can be impacted. Scanners are calibrated from the factory with the lids closed, typically with a white scanner lid. But when you leave the scanner lid open, ambient light affects how the colors are reproduced in the image. Here is the same post office form scanned with the lid closed and the lid open.

Which one is closest to the 'real' color? Frankly I can match to either one if I change the ambient lighting I am viewing it under. So when catalog publishers define and classify colors, what are their ambient lighting conditions?
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When working with the 37s and 41s, I am only concerned about the obvious shade differences. Combine this with oxidizing and it is impossible to figure out what the sub classifications are. So with my stamp above it will be figuring out the difference between laid and wove paper. Any advice?
Learn More...
7312 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   2:18 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Strong backlight setup (since you have to go through a bunch of them). I use a directional LED light, if I had a bunch of stamps to do I would mount it to my work space table for 'hands free' handling of the stamps.
Ideally you would want to make a cardboard template, cut a hole about stamp size, and mount light behind it. This will cut down on ambient glare and make it easier to focus upon the stamp paper.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
597 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your 37's and 41's should all be on wove paper. As far as I know none of the Small Queens were printed on laid paper. On the other hand the 3d beaver can be found on laid paper and a number of different wove papers.

Mike
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
92 Posts
Posted 08/28/2019   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lars,

Congratulations on the find!! Telling the difference between Unitrade #1 and Unitrade #4 can be difficult. I tried scanning and photographing mine as an example to help you out, but I generally did not get very good results. You can check this link, as they have pretty good pictures detailing the differences, and all are certified.

http://goscf.com/t/39972
Edited by Brad905 - 08/28/2019 9:19 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05