Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quadrille Leaves, Albums, Mounts

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4280 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was also - quite a long time ago - a thread here in making your own slipcases.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1202 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As always, lots of good advice here leading to all sorts of mix & match possibilities.

I don't print out album pages. My basic printer is an 8 1/2 by 11 inch printer, that can also do legal size (8 1/2 x 14 inches, here in the states). When I graduated to an "adult" set of albums and pages in the early 1980s, I went with the Scott Big Blue International pages. Those aren't easily printable.

As I got further into "stamping graduate school," I moved over some to International sized blank quadrille pages. Part 1 of the Scott International pages; 1840-1940; isn't comprehensive enough to continue using those pages. No need to use a ruler as the lines are already there. The best blank pages in that size, at least several years ago when I last made a purchase, came from Subway Stamp Shop in Altoona, PA. They licensed the page format from Scott as their G & K brand, and their blank pages were slightly thicker than Scott's own brand.

I've also bought some collections that came in Scott Specialty albums. I use some of those pages, but have to trim them down to fit into my International binders.

As for mounting stamps, I generally hinge up to a roughly catalog value of $50. Thanks to a local supplier here in Colorado, I have around 11,000 of the old-style Denison hinges. I still use the modern day Prinz hinges for cheap used stamps. An exception for hinging is if a stamp is on really thin paper. An example is some of the issues of Mexico issued in 1881-1883.

For mounts, I use the Showguard, black, split back, strips of varying sizes. If you are "sure-fingered," don't spend money on a mount cutter. I've used scissors for years and have yet to lose a stamp. I also have some old Harco brand black strips, open at the top, which I am using to mount cheap US plate blocks so they remain never hinged.

Good luck!
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coastwatcher – Here is the link you requested: https://www.printninja.com/printing...aux-leather. I was particularly attracted by their faux leather cases, which might be a nice match for albums by Lighthouse and such.

Steve – Thanks for the info on mounts! Much as I'd like to get by with scissors, I think I'll need to invest in a mount cutter. I can't cut a straight line by hand to save my life, and I'm overly sensitive to crooked lines!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ask your spouse for a mount cutter for Christmas or birthday. They are not that expensive.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/23/2019 09:28 am
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore...I think that she would need to ask her husband!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
fixed it...
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
267 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Strongly recommend you cut mounts with a mount cutter - not scissors.

Again, if you are using black mounts on white paper, you will easily see the sides aren't parallel and it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Don't believe me? Go to eBay and look at scanned pages of collections with mounts. Shouldn't take too much energy to find a page of scissor cut mounts. Makes me cringe every time as my OCD takes over.

I have two mount cutters - a large and a small. The large doesn't cut well under 30mm or so due to the clearance cut out for the blade.

You can try Hobby Lobby or Michael's as well in the scrap booking section. I have had terrible luck with rotary/slide cutters trying to cut mounts.

Suggest only getting a guillotine/swing arm style cutter. I have a larger (200 mm) and a small (100 mm) Lighthouse

I promise you will be glad you set aside the scissors!!!

Additionally, if you do use quadrille pages and scissors, the lines will show you your cuts are not square and you will see them every single time you look at those pages.

Good luck and show us a page!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1678 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Mount cutters work well. I have two, one small, and one bigger one. I mostly use the bigger one though, for everything.
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a swing arm cutter I purchased at Hobby Lobby. Would that work well enough, or should I invest in a mount cutter?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
921 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

If it resembles this one it might work. However, this one may be more versatile:
http://www.subwaystamp.com/LH-STAMP.../ZLHCUTT180/

This would allow cutting multiple mounts of the same length.

Note: I contacted Showgard and they stated that their guillotines no longer have the ruler extension. As far as I am concerned, they are useless. How does one cut multiple mounts of the same length??

Jerry B
Edited by jbcev80 - 08/24/2019 12:23 pm
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could one measure mounts with a normal ruler and lightly score the plastic with a scissors before cutting it with the mount cutter?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3398 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just started using a Fiskars rotary cutter and have had excellent results. It was $20 and I figured that they might very well make the ones branded by the philatelic supply brands anyway. What do the Lighthouse, Showgard and othere cutters do differently? Perhaps if I start having issues I might end up going to their cutters.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26730 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
10 years of Fiskars cutting.
I use open top mounts, and cut with the stamp in the mount.
Never Failed.

Downside,
Fiskars is plastic, and the measurements fade away after years of use.
Expensive original outlay
Tough to source new blades, 4 used in 10 years.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05