Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The World Of Wildlife Stamp Sheet Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Grover2019 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently acquired from my grandfather a box of 57 full sheets of animals from around the world. Not sure how many should be in the set. It comes with a letter of authenticity from Calhoun's Collectors Society. Looking for background on this box. How many should there be? How much is it worth? How old is it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6718 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to SCF, Grover2019!

The Calhoun's Collectors Society is based in Minnesota. They produced most of their coin/stamp products in the 1970s and 1980s.

Just about any philatelic product that comes with a "letter of authenticity" or "limited numbered set" from a "... Collectors/Commemorative Society" is in reality a mass-produced item targeting the general public or the casual collector. If you like them, great -- collect them. But in terms of value, essentially wholesale/bulk. They will not come anywhere close to the original selling price. If you inherited them, I would suggest you keep them as a memento -- that value will far exceed the financial value.

I'm sure if you look for them on eBay, you will find some of the listed at pretty exorbitant prices. You will also see that they don't sell at those prices.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by khj - 08/18/2019 10:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6718 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look on eBay, there is one lot of 85+ sheets for $500. I looked at the stamps and it looks like they are mostly CTO or low value mint stamps (i.e., catalog value <$1). These are the types of stamps/sheets that are used as fillers in stamp mixes & bulk stamp lots.

So the value will be for someone who really likes Calhoun's Collectors Society products. The actual stamps aren't worth that much.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
423 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Subscription products like these usually have little or no value, but depending on the specific issues involved, there might be some value to a topical collector; there are a few wildlife sets from the 1970s/1980s that have a premium today.

The 1983 Burundi wildlife sets, for example, can be flipped on eBay for a little money. These actually aren't even all that scarce, they're just hyped, maybe by some Afinsa-type scheme. They have a ridiculously high CV, though: around $1000 per set. Actually scarce stamps from Burundi usually sell for under $10, so figure the odds; there just aren't that many Burundi collectors out there. You can get a lot more for that 1983 issue on eBay than most Burundi stamps, though, so somebody out there is paying for them.

Are your sheets unused or cancelled? That would be the first thing to know. Pictures of what you've got would tell me a lot more!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05