Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Plating An Eob 11A 31R1l?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Philazilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks for the help on plating. . .Here's another. This one has a cert as an Experimental Orange Brown. . .meaning it is plate 1L. And it is a left margin stamp with a stamp below it - meaning there are only 18 positions to check. I think this is 31R1L. . .what do you think?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't checked the plating(s), but one next step towards eliminating positions would be to determine the relief. That will reduce the search a lot more.

This one seems pretty easy to tell. What relief is it?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure of the relief on this one. It looks like it has the break in the outer oval at top (B Relief) but has a thick outer oval to the left of the break (A Relief). It doesn't seem to have the "notch" of the A relief. The bottom inner frame line looks like it has one break (A-relief). If you say this one is easy to tell, I'm not sure how to interpret the conflicting characteristics. . .If the top outer oval frameline break is the key feature, then I'd say this is a B relief. (My plating guess is an A relief).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp is definitely an A relief, which matches your plating guess.

The reliefs of this stamp can take some time to get used to. Its good to kind of calibrate your eyes to this, by just looking through the platings at the various websites. Look at a bunch of confirmed A and B reliefs and things will start to 'pop' better for you. Then come back to this stamp, and you will see.

The lack of a guide dot at LR or UR is always a clue that it might be an A relief. That's not a given, as 10R columns don't usually have guide dots, regardless of relief, for example.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been practicing the reliefs on known stamps. . .I am up to about 80% accuracy. . .not good enough yet. How do you explain the break in the outer frameline if this is a A relief? (Thanks for your help on this!)
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have it narrowed down to 4 possible positions: 11L1L, 51L1L, 31R1L, 51R1L. . .will need to spend more time to spot the differences.
Pillar Of The Community
2171 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Suggestion: Is there any way to be able to make proper uppercase letters in titles, etc? This thread's title is a perfect example of how confusing it can be. I thought "Eob" was a typo until I read the first entry.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are asking good questions, which are illustrating the difficulties in differentiating these reliefs.

One of the problems with telling these, is that some of the differences are so small in places, that a minute difference in printing can mislead one very easily.

I always note guide dot status first. That doesn't tell you the relief, as the guide dot is on the plate, not the relief. It does, however, tend to make me favor one relief over another, based upon dot-present/not and location. It is true that guide dots can be obscured or cut off, so you just don't know. Also, some are small and not easily seen. Also, there are misplaced reliefs in some spots on some plates.

With your stamp, I don't see any guide dots, so that starts me out looking at A reliefs.

I have tended to key at least initially off of the thick outer oval line indicating A relief. Also, I do see the 'notch'. I also see the outer oval is still thick at 3:00. After seeing these, I'm mostly convinced its an A.

I see what you are asking about at 12:00. I believe that this will be another example of where these reliefs can be difficult, due to minute differences in printings. The blue cancel is also blurry in that area, making it a bit harder to see that spot perfectly.

Determining the relief, is part of eliminating candidate plate positions. If you just can't be sure of the relief, then don't eliminate any and look at everything.

I certainly invite other 3c platers to comment on things that they key off of to determine reliefs, and what difficulties are found.

For the benefit of others, an article on 3c reliefs is the second article on this page: http://stampplating.com/reliefs
Edited by txstamp - 08/19/2019 2:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should add that I also do not see any impingement in the outer oval at the bottom aligned with either side of the "C" in CENTS.

Many B reliefs show this. Some, not as much, due to the effects of guide-reliefing -- over-rocking of the bottom of the C relief into an already entered B relief.

This further hints towards it being an A relief.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ruled out 11L1L and 51R1L. . .I still think this is a 31R1L. . .but it could also possibly be 51L1L. (I think my stamp has the left inner frame line going too far up - recut 23). Can anyone confirm?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
31R1L looks correct to me.

The right inner line is all wrong at the top to be 51L1L.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05