Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 3c 1851-57 Washington To Plate - Green Cancel, Clear Impression.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Philazilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm really interested in this one because of the green cancel, but I've gotten nowhere so far in trying to plate it.

- Type II - this is an 11A
- I see no guide dots, but I still think it is a B-Relief. Maybe there are guide dots that got trimmed off the top?
- The UR triangle has been recut (recut #11)
- The left inner frame line goes too high (recut #23)
- The right inner frame line goes down too far (recut #25)
- The right inner frame line goes all the way up (does not seem to be a numbered Chase or McDaniel recut)
- The UR diamond block looks wide
- The UR triangle looks short
- The spacing between the right inner and outer frame lines looks wide.

I looked through about 200 positions and none seemed to match these characteristics. . .maybe I am off somewhere?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2037 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I plate 3c stamps I first consider shade, apparent plate and impression characteristics, and even cancel. Using that first filter, I assume that the stamp was printed from either Plate 2L or 3. This stamp is an obvious bottom row stamp with 2 lines recut in ULT. That should narrow the search to a small handful of positions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2037 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I figure a March 1854 usage...
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plug in the characteristics on the stampplating site -- 11A, 2 inner lines, 2 lines recut ULT, B relief, plate 2L and 3, etc, and it really narrows down your possibilities. And since you are looking at a bottom row position, it gets narrowed even further. 97L2L looks pretty close to me. What say y'all? Nice stamp by the way.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1678 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the other thread, I should have mentioned that bottom row stamps typically don't have guide dots. They are usually B reliefs, with some notable exceptions.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 97L2L too . ..There were only 6 possible positions given the two plates to look at and the DOUBLE recut in the RL triangle (and being a bottom-row stamp). Single vs double recuts in the UL triangle is tough to distinguish. Thanks for the help on this one!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1634 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may already know, but the cancel appears to be that of the town of Washington, either Massachusetts or Mississippi. There is a book on Berkshire County postmarks for the Massachusetts town, and a Helbock cancel book including Mississippi that would likely settle that question if not known.
Edited by hy-brasil - 08/21/2019 02:34 am
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tip on the cancellation. I have not yet learned much about cancellations. I'll see if I can find the Helbock book.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05