Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920s Covers From Memel And Danzig

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turtle2900 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My kids just picked these covers for me in a group of 20 or so from Memel & Danzig at an Estate Sale for a few dollars.
A few nice finds, especially in the first image.
I believe the blue and buff stamp with red Type I overprint is Memel Scott #32 on cover with a CV of $72. or is it #41 with Type II overprint font?
Along with #69, #77 (bottom left, green), #72 (horizontal).

On the 3rd image, I cannot make out the overprint on the "sower" small stamp in the center. It looks like 2 or 20 Marks on a 20c stamp, but I cannot find that combination in the Scott Catalog. Any suggestions ?

and the last image with Danzig, looks like ##68 on cover CV$13

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6452 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If nothing else, I really love the hand writing. The stamps are not bad either,

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 08/20/2019 4:06 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel the same Peter. It's hard to tell in the scans but 2 of the envelopes have black borders.
A nice clean look with beautiful hand writing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1294 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those with black borders from this period are termed "mourning covers," so you have a group of condolences sent to Frau Kretzel although it looks like multiple spellings of the surname were used. They are usually sold as singles so it's a bit unusual to see a group. Apparently the deceased was beloved so someone saved all of them ...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting Cj I was not aware of the "mourning covers"
Thank you for the information
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4280 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sower stamp is, I think, Yvert 80 from 1922. Don't know the Scott number.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the sower stamp is Scott 94, which was overprinted and then re-overprinted, or surcharged. It was originally Scott 54, 20 pfennig on 20 centime red brown, issued 1922, but then, I presume because of the hyper inflation that was just beginning to occur in Germany, was surcharged later that year, with the value of 20 marks, or one hundred times the original value. On cover Scott values it at 11 dollars.
I think the lady's name is Martha (or Marta) Notzel (with an umlaut over the o)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very helpful !
Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
United States
703 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   02:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the lady's name is Martha (or Marta) Notzel (with an umlaut over the o)

Yep. "Nötzel" in all instances except the one where "ö" has been rendered as "oe", which is not uncommon.

Re the variation in the spelling of the first name, "Martha" and "Marta" are pronounced the same in German.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4280 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   03:51 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These free pages illustrate all of the stamps - you'll probably need to open on a laptop/desktop, not a tablet

http://www.album.france-timbres.net/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you GeoffHa. Very helpful, the pages with images are very useful.
Almost like Rod's posts of his pages ;-)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4280 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:12 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But these talk like Bardot.

I've used these album pages in the past in non-illustrated form, but the illustrated ones are a good quick reference.
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05