Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 106 10.cent Washington

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

France
31 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pklee355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this real or am I dreaming
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3396 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Five are recorded used. What makes you think that this is a 106?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3213 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please be aware that this same stamp design also could be Scott 62B, 68, 85D, 89 or 96. Start with the assumption that it is the least expensive (68) and work from there.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3664 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
998 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since your initial guess was 106, I'll assume for now that there is no grill. 62B is easily eliminated, leaving 68 as the likely ID. The color suggests 68a.
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   02:23 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pklee355,
You have been in this community for about a week and you have start threads asking for verification on a #169 Special Printing, a #363 blue paper, a #85f Z grill, and now a #106. Each thread has inquired about the rarest of each stamp design; it appears that you are starting your identification process with the assumption you have the rarest stamps. Finding just one of these would be astounding, never mind having 2-3 of them all show up in a single collection (unless someone dropped six figures or more).

As Partime posted, the best way to identify stamps is to start with the assumption that you have the most common variety because this is the case in the vast majority of the time. Assuming that you have a rare stamp(s) often causes confirmation bias; in other words it becomes much more difficult to stay objective and make the correct identification. This is true even if a stamp is marked in an album as a rare variety or if it was purchased as a rare variety. Stamps are as common as rocks, what is the chance that you might be able to walk into your backyard and find a diamond?

You made this comment in another thread
Quote:
… seems like everyone is so fast to discredit a historical find like this maybe cause you don't have one or anything like it…
This is a free community and the folks here are quick to help others, but in the past when someone starts this way it often does not end well. We do not want you to become discouraged, collecting stamps is a great hobby and has much to offer beyond finding a stamp which will make you rich. Please consider approaching the identification process as described above, if nothing else it will prove to be the best way to get help from others.
Don
Valued Member
France
31 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pklee355 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never once asked any of you for verification I am just simply showing my collection I am not asking for your advice on my collection this is a forum it's not for authentication it's just simple conversation not for criticism unless you have nothing better to do
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   08:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this real...

Quote:
I am look for answers on this stamp...

Quote:
Wondering what the value is...

Doh. I am not going to play word games with you. You asked for advice and opinions, I gave you mine. If you want to cross swords with me go for it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6385 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   1:13 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you want to cross swords with me go for it.

Don,

I wish a separate thread was available for new members to post their "new discoveries" so that this thread could be used for what it was intended for. I have a Scott number 9 that I was able to tentatively plate. I would present it here but for all of the noise created by posters without a catalog or perforation gauge. Threads farther down the list don't seem to suffer as much.

When a stamp image is posted sideways, it could be interpreted as signaling disrespect for other board participants. If the OP lashes out after receiving a couple of reasonable responses, is it not time for the Moderators to get involved? Good luck!

Edited by cfrphoto - 08/21/2019 1:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
635 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
my 2 cents.

There are some posters who refuse to look things up, have no interest in stamps, and are looking for their golden parachute to wealth.

They do nothing for the hobby or this forum except get others annoyed. It is a pain to have to go through all these types of posts to find serious posts.

Maybe what should happen, is help them once and then if nothing changes, ignore them or remove them.

The wealth seekers that do nothing to help themselves, just tell them to get a cert, where they can get it, and come back once you receive it.

This may sound harsh but may be the only way they will learn and understand.

By others comments, many are starting to feel the same way.
Edited by dutchman1948 - 08/21/2019 1:29 pm
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   2:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly understand the frustration, at least you guys get to ignore any threads/posts you might find tedious. Have pity on the staff whose job it is to read every post no matter how mind-numbing it might be.

I agree that having a separate forum category would help, but it also has a number of drawbacks, the least of which include having to go back into the history and moved hundreds of threads. And while I have confidence that the current staff has the experience to properly filter and segregate the threads as they are started, there is a fair amount of subjectivity in how it might be applied. I could see some folks getting upset if their posts were moved to the 'kids table' (I am sure some of us recall wanting to eat with the grown-ups!). I can hear the 'elitist' comments now.

I value our support of the less experienced and new members; every week I hear privately from many of the 'lurkers' and other less experienced folks who are highly appreciative of this community. Because they typically do not post, these folks are not really represented in discussions like this. This type thread, and the fact that I allowed my frustrations to be seen, probably contributes to some members not posting out of fear they will look foolish and/or get snarky replies. In fact any of the threads which have 'drama' appear to have this kind of effect. They are like car wrecks, lots of rubber-neckers and gawkers but ultimately it slows down posting.

I'll start a simple poll and see if we can capture a good cross section of our community on the possible inclusion of a new forum category. Of course, Bobby would ultimately have the final say in the forum configuration but it would not hurt to better understand how folks perceive this potential change.
Don
Valued Member
France
31 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pklee355 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And this is a scott 106 used condition on hard white paper and cracked gum special edition
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3396 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations. Look forward to seeing the Philatelic Foundation certificate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3213 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And this is a scott 106 used condition on hard white paper and cracked gum special edition

That's nice to hear your thoughts on this item. Were you planning to send it in for a certification? A lot of SCF members would love to hear about a successful find. If you don't send it in, then I think you'll see much more comments to the contrary. Good luck!

Edit: Rodgcam beat me to a request for a certificate.
Edited by Partime - 08/25/2019 12:33 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05