Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Can I Remove Hinge Remnants?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bud to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't tell is this is a 421 or 422. No watermarks detected on the clean portion, but may be hidden under the hinge remnant. Any ideas how to remove the remnants? Have tried soaking in water, applied Clarity, but no luck. Any help appreciated. Sorry if the scan is not great. Still trying to figure out how to do it.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3672 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any gum or are the remnants on paper?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp is either a reperforated Scott 421 (guide line at the top) or more likely a Scott 422
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp has nice gum. Remnants cover a portion of gummed back.

I know it's a 421 or 422. Question is which. I believe there may be a piece of the double-lined watermark under the hinge remnant, but I can't get at it to confirm. Hoping it's a 422.

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try using an artist's brush to apply water directly to the hinge remnant. Let sit. Repeat as often as necessary.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give the brush treatment a shot. Thanks much!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3672 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot tell from the image whether or not it is a glassine hinge remnant or tape.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was a hinge, not tape. Just removed all of it with brush and water (thanks, Dudley!). Let it dry and then into watermarking fluid. It's a 422; quite a bit of the mark was in fact under the hinge remnant. Fortunately, double-lined marks almost always leave something, even if only a bit, and this one has more than just a bit.

Thanks, everyone!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3672 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great news Bud!
Pillar Of The Community
2257 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have tried soaking in water

Quote:
Stamp has nice gum

These two quotes seem in contradiction to each other. Puzzling.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I misspoke. Never soaked it in water for fear of losing the gum. Soaked it in Clarity fluid, but that did not help. Did apply water with brush on the hinge and envelope remnant, as suggested, and suffered some loss of the gum. Willing to pay that price to get a good look at the watermark, which was under the removed material. Sorry for confusing post; confusion all mine.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
423 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The fine paintbrush method should work; if that doesn't get the job done, sitting the stamp in a "sweat box" for a couple of days will do it, though that is more likely to glaze or disturb the gum.

This forum thread tells you how to make a stamp sweat box:

http://goscf.com/t/6119
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Code. Brush method worked, but I'm happy to learn about sweat boxes. Sure to come in useful!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05