Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Potential New Us Section Forum Category 'is This A Rare Stamp?" Poll

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   2:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question:

Should we add a new forum category named "Is This A Rare Stamp?" to the US section of the community? The intent would be to separate the significant number of 'do I have a rare stamp' inquiries from the other forum categories. Please feel free to offer any 'pros and cons' (or any other solutions) in this thread you feel might be applicable.

Choices:
Yes
No

(Anonymous Vote)
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6452 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am one of the two although I have reservations. Folks do not read a post when it does not interest them. That is why we get so many questions that have been answered ( many times ) before

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2981 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I voted yes.

I believe that keeping all of the "treasure hunters" in one place would help to clarify the big picture. If this were done, there would be a clearer understanding of the percentage of those who might, in the future, post non-treasure hunting questions at the SCF. I suspect this percentage would be very small to zero.

Also, going back over the past and moving old postings around doesn't seem necessary. The date of inception of the new forum category could be posted at the heading.
Pillar Of The Community
2171 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would fully defer to the admins and moderators who have to manage it. They have my proxy to cast as they wish.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
79 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I voted yes, but I agree with John Becker that those doing the heavy lifting on these queries should decide the matter. Most of the people asking the rare stamp question have not bothered to do the basic work necessary to find the answer on their own. It's easier and quicker to ask on SCF than to do the research. Good-hearted souls try to point them in the right direction and encourage them in the hobby. I fear that might be in vain and a waste of good time: Most of these folks are not going to become collectors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6452 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The three "NO" votes are more then I would have expected. I would love to know the reason why one is against this

Peter
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I voted yes, but with reservations. I read most of the posts where someone with little to no knowledge is asking if they have a hidden treasure. I feel bad that it seems to be the same set of people answering those queries, but do not feel that I have enough knowledge or experience to answer.

When pictures are supplied, it certainly appears that the stamps shown are common and low value.

If anyone has some advice that might help me contribute, please feel free to offer suggestions.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
686 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I will leave it to the moderators as well.
I agree with Bud that many have been gracious about giving their time and knowledge trying to help those who request information.
Unfortunately sometimes it does wear on those who try to assist and then are challanged and disagreed with, often leading to the question - "why did I bother".
This way a person can sidestep these landmines if they wish to do so, and keep enjoying this forum of knowledgable contributors.

Edit: And I just thought of this- I believe Don just posted the solution without even knowing it. If you create that catagory, I do not believe it should be U.S. only; and why not just allow the person to place their post and have a pole automatically attach to the post in that catagory. Yes or No poll, no names or ID's and the post is answered annonimously without wasting time or energy trying to convince them otherwise.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 08/21/2019 10:14 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
99 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Echoing the comments of some others, I'll defer to the moderators and their assessment of the additional work load this will create vs. anticipated benefits since the extra effort will fall on their shoulders.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mission of this forum is education on stamp collecting. I think it will be more educational for the treasure seekers to see all the other treasure-seekers in one place. To see 50 "I have a 594!" or "I have a 613!" on one page will help make the point that, "No, you did not find treasure in the back of Aunt Gertrude's sock drawer." The forum should be called something like "I think found a rare stamp!" And there should be a pinned post at the top called, "No, you did not find a rare stamp." that explains the basics of look-alike rarities and that the last time someone found this or that rarity was 1954 or whatever and that there are 12 (or whatever) of this stamp, and they are all accounted for. I think that information is what people need to read before they get into how to use a perf gauge or how to tell the difference between rotary press or flat plate printing. I think the last 613 was found a couple years ago when someone went through a hoard of a few hundred thousand (millions?) of Harding stamps and found one. . .that kind of story is interesting and useful to the would-be treasure hunters. Telling them to print off a perf gauge is boring and not terribly useful if they are going to check one stamp ever.
Edited by Philazilla - 08/22/2019 01:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I voted "yes" I think there may be a need for a second category "Can you help identify this(these) stamps?"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   04:05 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I voted "no". In an ideal world, newbie posters would look for a forum category "Is this a rare stamp", but I am a bit jaded and believe most would not search it out (causing more work for the moderator(s)).

Also, again a bit jaded, but believe most of the posters asking this question, will likely not be long-term members or contribute significantly to this forum. Of course, there will be the few exceptions, that I and others will welcome gladly.

Ultimately, I think the decision should be left to the moderator(s) who will shoulder the burden.

OTOH, I DO think there should be a forum category for "Please help me identify this stamp". This is one that will most likely have both newbies and longer-term members asking for identification help.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   05:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i voted yes. I think it will put the questions in one place, and let those who want too provide advise or an answer find them in one spot much the same as the " inherited" category.
i do agree with the suggestion of a "please help me identify this stamp" as well as both a pinned explanation and a link to the stampsmarter.com site.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5664 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even though I voted yes the majority of these postings are US stamps. The first thread regarding stamps is the classic US stamp forum and I think they quit reading right there and continue to post in the US stamp section. These people want a quick answer and won't take the time to read through the site to determine the best place to post their question. Just my 2 cents.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I voted but refer a name like "how much is this worth" since it covers a broader area.

What you want is a thread "I have inherited this collection and want to start to collect stamps".
Al
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could the new forum also have an automatic reply "No, you do not. Please see Stampsmarter.com for more information" haha just kidding. I voted yes, in the hopes that they would see others asking similar questions.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05