Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sonya, Ontario Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
294 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a quote from the Wikipedia article for Sonya, Ontario

Quote:
A recently constructed sub-division has expanded the hamlet from about 15 houses to more than 30. At one time it had a railroad station, as part of the Whitby, Port Perry, and Lindsay Railroad, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. The railroad closed in the 1940s and the general store was destroyed by fire in the 1950s.

I am wondering what the population would have been during WW2. The impression given above is a fairly large community but it also says only 15 houses. However the article is not clear about the dates for the "15 houses" and it sounds recent.

Was Sonya much larger in 1940's and did it decline after the railway closed.

Also of interest is when did the post office close.

Any help appreciated

AQ
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
327 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   3:26 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post Office opened as SONYA September 1, 1858
First postmaster was John Fairwell
Office closed May 1, 1939

Information from GHOST & POST OFFICES OF ONTARIO by Floreen Carter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
294 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that info. I guess Sonya must have been very small when the PO closed which is part of the info I was looking for.

I thought that a copy of the book might be useful. Then I looked on the net and found one for sale 1044 pages long and C$150. I think I will pass this time
Valued Member
Canada
327 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   10:39 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are studying postal history in Ontario I suggest you don't pass up this book. The information is priceless! The price is reasonable for this private printing.
GJP
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
629 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are cheaper solutions but with less information, I'm sure.

1) Electronic membership to PHSC (Postal History Society of Canada) is $15 per year. They have a database of information for the Post Offices of Canada including hammer strikes.

2) There is a book called " Canada Post Offices 1755/1895" by Frank W. Campbell. Approx $15 plus shipping. This book lists all Post Offices in Canada for the period noted along with their opening dates and the Average Income of the PO.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
294 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you are studying postal history in Ontario

Thanks for the thought but my main interest at present is the WW2 period.

I recently got 2 covers from Sonya both with General Delivery cachets which I thought looked nice. Then I found Sonya was a very small community and just wondered how much more I could fined out.

AQ
Valued Member
United Kingdom
294 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Electronic membership to PHSC (Postal History Society of Canada) is $15 per year.

I was a member some 5 years ago but then my interests did not correspond with theirs. I will have to think about rejoining

AQ
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05