Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

General Plating Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
445 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moyock13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious, which US stamps are subject to plating? The 1c Franklin and 3c Washington seem to be the most popular. Are there more?

I couldn't find anything in the Scott Specialized Catalog except scanning the stamp information itself. I see plating reference from Scott# 1 - Scott# 39, 1847 - 1860.

Did I answer my own question?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1173 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock, the thorough plating of US stamps (aside from isolated but well-known individual plate position varieties) pretty much ceases with the advent of the 1861 issue, when production methods had improved to the point where plate varieties were much fewer and farther between. Extensive plating work has been done on the 10-cent 1847, the 1-cent 1851-57, 3-cent 1851-57, 10-cent 1851-57 and 12-cent 1851-57. Some progress has been made on plating the 5-cent 1847 but it is far from complete. The 5-cent 1855-57 has never really lent itself to plating, nor have the higher-values of the series (24-, 30- and 90-cent).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1661 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are individual stamps here and there, which people have worked on, but I would say few have gained the wide audience that the earlier issues have.

The 5c New York Postmaster's provisional is quite plateable, as are some of the other provisionals.

There is an "Encyclopedia of Plate Varieties on Bureau issue Stamps" for collectors of those. I don't know that plate reconstruction was ever the focus there, as much as finding varieties - which of course is great.
Edited by txstamp - 08/23/2019 12:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
445 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Appreciate the responses.
The Encyclopedia of Plate Varieties on Bureau issue Stamps looks to be a tough book to find. A quick Google search shows very little, Amazon says not available.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
723 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp, you mentioned the NY provisional. I understood that the preliminary 1845 plate of 9 could be easily identified but I read somewhere that the final plate of 40 had not been plated to any degree. Has work been done on that now?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2034 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of first issue revenues that have been plated but I don't know how many different plates for sure.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 08/23/2019 6:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1661 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny - The NY provisional plate of 40 has been reconstructed numerous times. Ashbrook was involved in the first reconstruction, circa 1936.

I was working on it myself, as a side project but I had only just started, when I sold my collection. The ones I had, were easy to plate. I also had the Sperati forgery which was made I think from pos 29, which had a notable mark.

Stanley Piller "wrote the book" on this stamp in 1991.
If interested, that is a must-have. I highly recommend it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
723 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   9:26 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some First and Second Issue US revenue stamps have been successfully plated, like plate 21 of the 25 cent Second Issue revenue stamp, Scott R112.
Edited by cfrphoto - 08/23/2019 9:27 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05