Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 15p Proof Plate - Re-entries

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6380 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had the opportunity to see the Scott 15P proof plate shown to me by my friend Dr.Jim Watt...Anyone who knows Jim realizes the immense collection he has acquired over the years.

I was going through Jim's Scott 15P proof plate STATE 10 and wanted to identify PP (plate positions) for each of the 100 stamps on the sheet.
BUT..BUT..as I was going through each stamp I recognized a strong re-entry that is not recognized by Unitrade, or Ralph's Re-entries.com web site.

Robert

Below is the major re-entry identified by Unitrade as PP 28.
Pictures taken directly from Jim's sheet.

Having said that I noticed what a lot of people missed..Not in Unitrade (YET) or on Re-entries.com (YET)...Below is a PP 83 with a strong re-entry that I came across..

I am still trying to identify PP for these stamps to make it easier to place from individual stamps...Still working on it..Here is what I have so far..Taken a look at the "C" of "CENTS" as we know there are constant DOTS on most stamps...The chart below is a start and not the finish..I will try to add more as time goes on.

I addressed the "C" as a clock face to be able to make it easy for every one to adapt to.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wert, Here is my proof single of the Major Re-entry on the 5c Beaver:

I think it is one of the nicest re-entries on Canadian Stamps.

If you are interested in more information plate position 83, I wrote a detailed article in Dots and Scratches Newsletter of the Re-entry Study Group, BNAPS. The issue is Dots and Scratches #4 and starts on page 14. It is available on the BNAPS web site at:

http://www.bnaps.org/hhl/newsletter...n02-w004.pdf

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wert, I wrote a detailed article in "Dots and Scratches" Newsletter of the re-entry study group BNAPS on position 83. It can be found at: http://www.bnaps.org/hhl/newsletter...n02-w004.pdf and starts on page 14 I believe.

Mike

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6380 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the PDF Mike..Appreciate it..Helps a lot.

BTW..STATE 11 has the same re-entries as in STATE 10
Robert

Mike, do have PP 83 re-entry, or aware of it...??

Edited by wert - 08/23/2019 10:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, Are you going to BNAPEX in Ottawa? I am bringing all my copies of position 83. State 8 with re-entry 13, state 9 with re-entry 13a, and states 10/11 with
re-entry 15. If you are not I will make my write up about these available after The Study Group meeting. Of course my copies are used stamps so some stamps show different details depending on the cancellations and perforation placement.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6380 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Mikey

I have relatives coming from Calgary...darn...Like to see your write up eventually though

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert tell J. W. you know me, and reference Pence and Cents issues if you want a long conversation mostly from J. W. :-)

Best, Mike
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, By the way not all the positions between states 10 and 11 show the same features some have different marks on them. You should get at a minimum Whitworth's 5c Beaver book. Most of the plating on these can be found there. He uses 11 states to plate each position. Kershaw also has two nicely done books on this issue.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, Here is a 131 page reference I have done on the 5c Beaver proofs I have. You might find it useful.

http://www.bnaps.org/ore/SmithM-5cB...eFlawsRx.pdf

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6380 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you want a long conversation mostly from J. W.

Oh I know Mike..All I say is uh, oh, hey...haha

Quote:
By the way not all the positions between states 10 and 11 show the same features some have different marks on them.

Yes, I am noticing that Mike.
I am working on the "three pence" at the same time..hard work (as you are aware of)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6380 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic write up Mike..Why am I even trying when you have it nailed down..Good hard work Mike..
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert, That is only the tip of a very large glacier. I have hundreds of identified and unidentified 5c Beavers I am still studying. Same with the 3d, too. You can find some other materials I have written on the BNAPS web site if you need encouragement in studying some of the other denominations on these issues.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6380 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. I have hundreds of identified and unidentified 5c Beavers I am still studying.

Well..That settles it..I will let the pro continue...

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't quit on my account. We are still finding things not listed in the main references on the Pence and Cents Issues. I have one proof I believe is from state 1 of the 5c Beaver with minor marks that should help plate it. Don't have a single reference mentioning the minor flaws or an image to compare it to so I don't have it plated. There is still plenty to learn about these issues even after all the previous research. It is a matter of figuring out what has been written up in references and what remains to be figured out.

Best, Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
629 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There will be an announcement on providing more detailed information on the 5c Beaver to BNAPS members coming up at the BNAPEX Pence Cents Study Group Meeting. I'll post the announcement on this board afterwards. This is a joint project between watermark, myself and Leo, the BNAPS Web Master.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05