Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Not Sure What Happened, But...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bud to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been trying to learn how to post images on SCF. In addition to using the Image Optimizer, I tried to download Irfanview. I did not complete download, because I started to receive pop-ups from an outfit called MediaConverter.com or TheMediaConverter. Now, wherever I am on-line, including SCF, eBay, Hipstamp, and even my bank and brokerage, I get multiple pop-ups promoting different products and offering prizes for taking part in surveys. It's awful. Not sure if I made the wrong keystroke or Irfanview is infected, but I thought I'd better warn potential users. Perhaps SCF should look into this?
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7312 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:29 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bud,
Irfanview is not a part of SCF nor has SCF ever recommended it. You may have downloaded Irfanview from a 'bundleware' website and the stupid TheMediaConverter got installed with it. You need to go to the Control Panel|Programs and Features| and uninstall TheMediaConverter. If this does not completely get rid of it, let me know and I'll give you some more directions.
Don

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Don. I'm cleaning up things, should be okay. The Irfanview download is available on the SCF Image Tutorial link, at least on my machine.
Learn More...
7312 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, I thought that page had been replaced. I am testing the link to make sure nothing is going on with it.
Don
Learn More...
7312 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The download link is clean, the install is clean.

If you see TheMediaConverter in the Control Panel install list did you notice the install date?
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TheMediaConverter is not shown in Control Panel. s! I think it is embedded in another program, probably Google. Gonna have to go through Google and other likely suspects to see if I can find it. I'll check the install date when/if I find it. Thanks for your help.
Learn More...
7312 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   11:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look in your browser 'plugins' or 'add-ons' settings.

Looks like you are using Chrome, so take a look at Settings|Extensions
Don
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can try Malwarebytes Free, I have used pro version for years. It may remove your PUP.(potentially unwanted program)
https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Thanks,
Robert
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I think I got it. It was in fact in Google. To remove you have to go through Google Settings to Extensions and remove it there. We'll see if it worked! Thanks for your help! By the way, I got this stamp in my dear Aunt Harriet's collection. I think it's worth a gazillion bucks! Please confirm.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I run Malwarebytes. Didn't use it here, but did run a scan. It did not identify TheMediaConverter as a potential problem. Anyway, I think I got rid of it.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27230 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I get multiple pop-ups promoting different products and offering prizes for taking part in surveys. It's awful.

I share your grief, used to happen to me 5-6 years ago.
I ended up not downloading any subsidiary programs.
These low life's spoil it for everyone.

I now employ "Glary Utilties" to scan all my stuff.
Not had a problem since.

Well done the U.S. for their recent arrests on the "Love Scams" thieves.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can download the app QReduce Lite to reduce the size of the image for posting. It is hassle and ads free and I get to do that using my mobile phone.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1206 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm so glad to not use google in any capacity. Sounds like a lot of hassle!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05