Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage: The Dos And Don'ts Of Sending A Letter In The 18th Century

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 911Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1668 Posts
Posted 08/31/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure if this has been posted before here. If so, I apologize in advance.

Jim

xxb-XqsgaqM
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
635 Posts
Posted 08/31/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very enjoyable watch. Thanks for posting it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3959 Posts
Posted 08/31/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting video, although his knowledge of rating is somewhat inaccurate and he implies that early mail was sent collect when prepayment was an alternate option.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
578 Posts
Posted 09/01/2019   08:14 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat video. Thanks for posting. It did raise a question. How in the world did lefties ever avoid smudging their writing in the days of quill and ink?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
533 Posts
Posted 09/04/2019   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wheelman they did not and a good meany of us became hook wristed in the process of learning to write cursive. today its a moot point as it is no longer being taught in meany places.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 09/04/2019   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wheelman, you should watch the video. The guy doing the demo is a lefty and is shown writing backhanded and keeping his hand and arm in the air to avoid smudging. Lefties back in the day were discouraged/prevented from writing lefthanded even up to the earlier 20th century.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
533 Posts
Posted 09/04/2019   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brazil that discouragement went as far as the 1950's in some backward schools, including mine. as things turned out I am ambidextrous but left dominant.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
533 Posts
Posted 09/04/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i will add that this was in a Brooklyn NY public school.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1019 Posts
Posted 09/04/2019   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a lefty, the smudging really bugged me as it made my school projects look messy. Conversely, loved writing Arabic when I learned it later, since it's written the "proper way", from right to left, and is beautifully cursive. Like all languages should be :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 911Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05