Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 96 - Flyspecking 101

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/01/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just putting this post out there to let people know that flyspecking is as much a part of stamp collecting as any other part....My interpretation of flyspecking is as follows summed up in 2 sentences.

FLYSPECKING
1-To see what is there that should not be.
2-To see what is not there that should be.

I took a few strips of 4, Scott 96 "Prince and Princess of Wales" Quebec Tercentenary Issues that were laying in the bottom of one of my boxes...None were taken from filled collection.

These examples below are NOT earth shattering,...99% are just oddities/freaks/errors etc., but you can find interesting possible constant varieties...An example is my find of Scott 56,57 and 58 Newfoundland "Dog Scratch" constant variety...From 123-132 years ago...So there are good finds out there.

RE-ENTRY
Here is the r-entry associated with the one on Ralphs re-entry.com web page..You can see the re-entry with no problem as shown by the picture below.

ODDITY ONE

A doted line running across the stamp between line 3 and 4 at the top of the Scott 96...Good oddity.

ODDITY TWO
Inside frame line on Princess side has dots that look like a possible re-entry "" probably not""..The YELLOW arrows show the oddity and the RED arrows show a normal stamp.

ODDITY THREE
The numeral box on all stamps have 4 bars..3 are equal length and one shown by YELLOW arrows is always shorter.

ODDITY FOUR

Dots outside UL frame of stamp

ODDITY FIVE

There are always 4 scrolls at the top of the stamp...Princess side has a outer border shown in RED and the Prince side the left border shown in YELLOW does not have a border but the right scroll always has a border as shown by the RED arrow.

ODDITY SIX
Now this is a really good oddity...The stamp on the left between line 6 and 7 has a smaller space that the one on the right which is normal.

ODDITY SEVEN

Here is an example of a Ductor Blade flaw..The both pictures are 2 stamps over each other..Broke them up to see it easier.

ODDITY EIGHT
Here is 2 dots appearing inside outer frame line.

There are many, many more..I have just posted a few...Keep your eyes open and maybe you will get lucky and find the next CONSTANT VARIETY..Good luck.

Robert
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1261 Posts
Posted 09/01/2019   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Robert. Here is one of the well documented version of the same stamp (it is position 44 on the sheet)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/01/2019   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gilles

That is a great copy of the major re-entry..Now I am going to have to pull out my collection and look for one...My second picture is the minor re-entry.

If I cant find one, you can send me yours..haha

Robert

Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 09/04/2019   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the glimpse into one aspect of flyspecking. It's something I've been interested in for a while. I especially like the many examples shown for a single stamp issue.

Dale
Valued Member
Canada
411 Posts
Posted 09/04/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to see some of the many variations on just this one stamp - thanks.
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 09/05/2019   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great... Because of you, on top of learning everything else with the boxes and albums I have inherited, I now want flyspeck them all! Thanks for that... My wife is never going to see me! ;)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
629 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a note that there are guidelines across the upper part of the stamp design, horizontally across the stamp. This is likely your Oddity One and Four.
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ya, I knew they were guide lines Jimjung...Just wanted new collectors to realize there is a part of collecting that will enhance the hobby..And who knows, they may find a new constant variety like I did.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1216 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert: thanks for bringing up the issue of "fly specking," or the search for plate varieties. I've not tried it yet with my Canadian collection. But I did note the article in BNA Topics earlier this year about flyspecking the Xmas 1898 issue.

Flyspecking can get really involved. While not Canada, I have an interest in plate varieties of the 1914-26 Ceres issues of the former Portuguese colonies. Just got a book from a Lisbon stamp dealer describing those varieties; there are 358 different ones.
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BNA Topics earlier this year about flyspecking the Xmas 1898 issue

hi Climber Steve

Flyspecking is fun, but can drive you crazy..now that you mentioned it, I had a chance to have the largest Xmas 1898 issue collection to scan..Darn I turned it down...What a mistake eh..?

Robert

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05