Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Customs Baggage Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 569Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
Posted 09/03/2019   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add circuitbroad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While antiquing with family this past weekend I found a piece of vintage luggage that was in better condition than I'd ever seen, and it was covered in gorgeous stamps from various cruise lines, airlines, and hotels around the world. One stamp in particular looks like it might help me figure out when this case was travelling the world.

I found this thread in my search:
http://goscf.com/t/9531

And thought this might be the place that can help me!

Attached is a photo of the stamp. There is no date, looks like initials JC maybe? What I find most insteresting is that all the pictures I find online have stamps that start in the 60 or 70 thousands, while mine is just 17, which makes me think it's pretty early.

Is there any possibility that there's a record I could research to find out details about this case? Or at least an idea, based on the stamp number, of when it would have traveled?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
751 Posts
Posted 09/03/2019   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like the late 1940's or the 1950's. The definitive listing and explanations for the use of the customs baggage labels is by Hermann Ivester in the Sept-Oct 2008 issue of The American Revenuer. It can be found here: http://tar.revenuer.org/TAR2008N5.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Ron Lesher
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05