Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Honouring Leonard Cohen

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Minesweeper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys!

I got this in the mail today. I was wondering if it was a Montreal thing only or if there's gonna be other events elsewhere. I know he was from here, so it might be a local thing.

Also the link (french or english) is not working as of yet. I get a 404 page not found error. So no information on there.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Post will unveil a stamp set honouring Leonard Cohen at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, overlooking the grand Cohen mural on Crescent Street, on Friday, September 20.

The stamps will be available to the public on September 21, on what would have been Cohen's 85th birthday.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1261 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
see report on Montreal gazette today at https://montrealgazette.com/opinion...st-on-stamps
Pillar Of The Community
723 Posts
Posted 09/13/2019   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here I thought that the "mysterious" issue was going to be for the 100th anniversary of the CNR.
Sad to omit that milestone.
Valued Member
Canada
18 Posts
Posted 09/13/2019   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak, Same thing for the 100th anniversary of the CPR in 1981 Sometimes I wonder who is on the selection committee and how they make their choices. This year again the Christmas stamps used the same design years after years, a little change sometimes would be appreciated. I hope they wont come back next years with the lunar new years series. ok, I stop my blah blah. To return to the original topic, on Leonard Cohen, who has the information on the un-cut sheet at 19.95$ and why there are four first day covers if there are only three different stamps.
Edited by Pollux - 09/13/2019 7:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
702 Posts
Posted 09/13/2019   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux, I have a feeling that there will be three different rates used on each of the different covers as you mention, but probably the fourth will be for a souvenir sheet of the 3.

Edit: souvenir sheet like other issues of the past.
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/13/2019 9:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
636 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the Leonard Cohen stuff is on the Canada Post Website under Shop
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minesweeper, that Leonard Cohen card is of timely interest. I am about to post a thread pertaining to Canada Post souvenir cards, which this appears to be. We are compiling images for cataloging by the Souvenir Card Collectors Society to be posted on our website.

Do you think I could get a scan of that card or a nice, flat photo? Is there anything on the back side?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1325 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux, vent, oops, have your say here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/pe...t-stamp.page?
Valued Member
Canada
18 Posts
Posted 09/26/2019   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Just received the limited edition (2000 copies) of Leonard Cohen uncut press sheet. The folded press sheet was inserted in an album jacket. I have not opened it yet and I will probably leave it intact. This sheet have a specific stamps arrangement, similar as the bear issu.

Pollux
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1261 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One interesting feature of the new sheet is that it is not shipped in a roll but in box and as mentioned by Pollux. Storage will be much easier and my wife is happy as I will not use much spase in her shoe closet.... Here is a sequence of what I went through to get to the stamps sheet

Valued Member
Canada
101 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gilles la timbre,

Is there a photo credit for the background shot?

Thanks,
Peter
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will not use much space in her shoe closet..

Gilles le timbre..Been there done that..Know what you mean..haha
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1261 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. There is a photo credit in the bottom of the sheet. Very small so no visible well on the picture. I,'ll ha e a look and can take a close picture and post
Pillar Of The Community
723 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, so this is press sheet #67. There is no attempt to disguise this as a real press sheet. The format is different which means it is the only way to get, say, three $2.65 stamps in a row, or a vertical gutter pair of $1.27 & $2.65.

In previous postings I have swallowed my pride and shown you where I keep these press sheets: under an old desk in my office: (latest version)

(That's Cohen lying on top and the [gulp] 2018 $425.40 Christmas issue on the right.)

(The frames on the left side are from my attempt to hang the Chinese New Year sheets - until my wife put a stop to that;)

Now I ask again. Are any of you willing to divulge what you do with these things? Is anybody willing to bravely show how you keep or display them?

Incidentally, my wife, who is an avid Cohen fan, thinks they could not have picked a worse photo for the sheet. There was no way that was going on the wall.

Both Gilles le T and Wert hint that there have been similar marital restraints. Have others the same domestic woes?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05