Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland Unitrade 23

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5676 Posts
Posted 09/14/2019   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stallzer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I believe this is a Unitrade 23. Picked it up in a local auction and it wasn't getting any attention so I got it for cheap. Are these safe to soak? I'd like to clean it up with a bath.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice copy stallzer...Good size margins...If your stamp is on piece, I would not remove it and if it is on cover, DO NOT remove.

If it is a stamp alone check for a watermark "STACEY WISE
1858" in large capitals".....like lots of Newfoundland stamps, used is worth more than new...One way to check to make sure the cancel is genuine is to take a Q-TIP and run it over the cancel..If it shows an oily stain, then it may be a forgery..Scott 11-23 are known for their forgeries..

Check this web site for forgeries..may help.
http://stampforgeries.com/forged-st...1862-page-2/

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
186 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do any of the Newfoundland stamps have nicknames either among collectors or the general public/
Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do any of the Newfoundland stamps have nicknames either among collectors or the general public

Noocassel...Since I am from the East Coast...I call them NEWFIE STAMPS..haha

Robert
Edited by wert - 09/15/2019 10:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1723 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer, no fugitive color, this is safe to soak. When dry and if the crud hasn't floated off, you might try using a soft non-abrasive eraser on it (Mars Staedtler from an art supply store).
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrotherSquint to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I question whether you would want to use an eraser of any sort on a stamp like this, you might try something called a kneaded eraser. It is soft and removes marks, dirt and the like simply by pressing it to the surface. No abrasion necessary.
Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer

Let me ask you question...If you had a USA Scott 90 stamp in good shape and used...Would you soak it and put ANY eraser to the service of that stamp...??

The Scott 23 you have is about the same price used as the USA Scott 90.

Your choice...Just saying.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1723 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A kneaded eraser can lift marks and dirt but also can put it back into paper if you do not constantly expose a new clean portion of the eraser. One stamp like this could use up a whole kneaded eraser.

wert and Brother Squint, this looks horribly dirty but just may be gum soaked. What that is I can't tell by a scan, but if it is just dirt or carbon, it can be cleaned up and perhaps even removed completely. If it's mold, it won't be coming out. Soaking will dissolve stamp gum but if it has been regummed or a non-water-soluble glue has been applied to disguise thinning, it will look the same as it is now. Obviously, if one is not careful, you could injure or destroy the stamp, but that applies to handling stamps in general. I leave it to stallzer to make the decision.

And yes, I would treat a similarly dirty or gum soaked used US 90c (122) the same way.

wert, the black border on the scan tells us that it's not on cover. Also, "Newfie" is a slur.
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/15/2019 2:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brasil

Quote:
Also, "Newfie" is a slur.

I have Newfoundlander friends..They are ok with it..It's all how you use it in context...

Robert

Anyways stallzer..It is your stamp to do what you feel is right..Just be careful doing things others say it is safe to do..Don't want to see you loose it..That's all my friend..
You have a nice copy of that stamp there..
Edited by wert - 09/15/2019 4:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember to roll a kneaded eraser, it will lift. Make sure that the surface is dry. Do not rub a kneaded eraser. Pick off a smaller piece and roll it in a ball in clean hands. Then, gently roll it over the surface.
Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stallzer...This will be my last response as to cleaning stamps..I know a lot of people just say take an eraser to the surface...Before you do, please read the link I have provided here, then do what you wish..Good luck my friend.

Robert

https://www.stamp-collecting-world....gstamps.html
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05