Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Fair Market Value" For Insurance Application

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
Posted 09/14/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As many of you know, Hugh Wood, Inc. offers insurance for stamp collections. Applicants must indicate the "fair market value" of their collection. I am seeking to insure my U.S. collection. It's relatively modest, respresenting about $4k worth of purchases over the past 10 months. Of these, the highlight is the airmails, C1-C150, all MNH.

I welcome thoughts on what to claim as FMV.

Thanks in advance...
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2212 Posts
Posted 09/14/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a perfect question for your insurance agent.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1209 Posts
Posted 09/14/2019   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(in my words) Under the Canada Revenue Act (Canadian Income Tax), Fair Market Value is the highest value a knowledgeable third party would pay. I would suggest that catalogue value would suffice as it is simplistic and understandable. It is also what you would probably have to pay to replace the stamps should they be lost, stolen or destroyed.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3551 Posts
Posted 09/14/2019   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalog value is acceptable but receipts are also useful. If your stamps are graded you will want to insure for the SMQ value in the case of PSE otherwise you would take a huge hit in case of a loss because Scott catalog value would not even begin to make you whole.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2524 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The insurance should cover the replacement value so not likely catalog. A collection of mostly modern US would catalog at 2x face but likely value is no more than face.
Al
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Progressively insightful answers - thank you
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that your purchase number of $4000 over the lass 10 months would be an accurate number to use, unless you made some exceptionally bad or exceptionally good purchases.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   09:35 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As many of you know, Hugh Wood, Inc. offers insurance for stamp collections. Applicants must indicate the "fair market value" of their collection.

Since when?

I've had my collection insured with Hugh Wood for well over a decade now and I've never been asked the FMV of my collection. They ask how much insurance coverage I want and individual items above a certain threshold ($25K?) need to be itemized. Beyond that however, the only time "value" comes into play is in the event of a claim, at which point I have to substantiate the amount of the damage or loss.

It may seem pedantic but there's a difference between "what is the FMV of your collection" and "how much coverage do you want to purchase"? Those are NOT the same question.

For example, one collector might want to insure replacement value, and another might simply want to cover how much they have spent. It's a nuanced decision.

What is the specific wording you are trying to answer?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3551 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - Am I correct in assuming that substantiating a loss involves receipts?
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since when?

I've had my collection insured with Hugh Wood for well over a decade now and I've never been asked the FMV of my collection.

Well, it's like this... I was provided a few weeks ago with a HWI application form dated April 2016 (see attached image). Perhaps their data collection requests evolve with each successive version? Check out the middle third of the page.

Edited by BFRomeos - 09/15/2019 10:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1184 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The FMV question on the initial application is to provide a basis for their quote. You can choose to insure for any amount you want based on the quote. I have had HW insurance for years, and at every annual renewal I insure for the amount I consider a reasonable replacement cost. I would use replacement cost as the FMV on the application as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
958 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As was stated, the amount of insurance and value of the collection is only relevant in case of a loss.

For example, if you pay for $1,000,000 of coverage for your "collection," and it is completely destroyed or stolen, you won't be able to collect $1,000,000 unless you can demonstrate to the insurance company that was the replacement value at the time of the loss. If you can only show documentation (scans, receipts, whatever) that covers $1,000, then that's what they'll write the check out for. The same goes the other way. If you pay for $20,000 of coverage for a collection worth $50,000 and it's a total loss, you'll get a check for $20,000.

If you have receipts for $4000, that's easy to document so that should be your coverage. If there's a total loss, you'll be made whole on that $4000. If you have some other stuff also, you can decide whether it's worth paying for additional coverage for that other stuff.

As a note, many policies have an automatic "escalation" built in - they increase the amount of coverage (and the premiums) each year to cover increases in inflation and value. So, a $4000 policy this year may become a $4400 policy next year and a $4840 policy the following year.

Hope that helps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3551 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am about to insure my collection with Wood and I am sooo happy that I took the time to organize my documentation. Excel sheet with each Scott number, cert number(s), special notes, centering, grades where applicable, SMQ and Catalog value all in catalog sequence. Folders of scanned receipts, scanned certs and photos of every stamp. All constantly backed up on external drives and a cloud. Finally, cert and invoice hard copies in binders. I am ready. Now I pray that I will never need it for a loss but rather when and if I sell or for my heirs.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also considering insuring my collection and determining FMV (or even replacement value) presents an interesting dilemma. Many items in my collection are unique and/or irreplaceable. In one case, I hold the only known PF certificates (three of them) for a color variety of a US stamp (I'm not aware of any others have been certified). Many items in my collection that are listed in the Scott Specialized catalog have only a dash for the value of said items. In several instances, there are no Scott values listed and the items have not come to auction or were listed but not sold at auction. It's not that these items are priceless, just nearly impossible to replace.

How can the FMV or replacement value be determined for items that fall into this category?
Pillar Of The Community
2212 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Walkman82, This is exactly why I'll repeat my first reply to this thread:

Quote:
Sounds like a perfect question for your insurance agent.

I doubt that any of us here are authorized to give answers on behalf of Hugh Wood Inc., nor are any of the replies, anecdotes, or advice shared here binding on Hugh Wood. It is best to ask him, not third parties. Disclaimer: No, I'm not authorized to give advice either. ;)
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker - point taken, thanks.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05