Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Sescal 2019 75th Annual Stamp Exhibition Of Southern California

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ireland2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Sescal 2019 75th Annual Stamp Exhibition of Southern California so is comin up on October 4th thru the 6th. I was wondering if any fellow forum members have one to it. If so is it worth going? I am thinking of going, but its 2 ours away, so I would ant to make sure its worth the drive.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I live about an hour and a half drive from it and try to go whenever I can , not always possible because I work every other weekend so I can only go to sescal when i'm off, butI think it's worth the drive, the exhibits are usually excellent and there are dozens of dealers, plus the workshops and auctions
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
waddsbadds, cool. I am out In Joshua Tree, middle of nowhere. I think I saw a couple of shows in the Van Nuys area.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on what you want out of a stamp show. The bigger commercial shows have as many dealers but not the exhibits, clinics or club functions. See its website for the dealer list, exhibits list, etc.; it's a major event. For something as big as SESCAL, it will probably be a full day (at least) unless you run out of money first.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never been to one. Been to knive shows but never stamp. I want to be looking for something that might catch my eye or that I can use.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3243 Posts
Posted 09/16/2019   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am out In Joshua Tree, middle of nowhere.

I'm only a few miles from you and very much enjoy going to this show. There is much to see, and many options from the dealers. If you are looking for choices on items, this show is very good. If you are looking for a good deal on standard items to fill in those blanks in your albums, you may be surprised at the prices. (Dealers have to pay for those tables ...) If you start early enough, you could see everything you want in one whole day. I'll be there on the Saturday, and maybe part of Sunday, if I find a dealer with items in my collecting areas. Good luck.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ parttime, your not super far at all. You out of everyone hereknow how difficult it is to find good material locall to us.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3243 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, agree. I either have to drive over an hour to Fullerton, or almost 2 hours to San Diego to get to any reasonable bourses. It would be nice to find something in Palm Springs, but nothing yet. Good luck on your collection.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be great to have a decent place for stamps. For me it's just like another 45 minutes to an hour to get to Vegas as it is to get to San Diego (about 3 to 3.5 to San Diego and 3.5 to 4 hours to Vegas) Las Vegas I heard has a couple pretty good ones.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1303 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having just spoken to UK-based US dealer Stephen Taylor at Autumn Stampex in London, I know for a fact that SESCAL will have new stock of unusual items of quite high quality. The Schuyler-Rumsey auction (catalog online now) has terrific material. So go.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen Taylor is going to be one of the dealers at the show. The show is going to have a thing on Hawaii stamps,. Confederate stamp exhibit and a thing on a railroad thing and some zeplin covers/letters etc. On the auctions, it does look like will have alot of possibly good items.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3243 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Las Vegas I heard has a couple pretty good ones.

I'll have to look into that.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
33 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris, nice seeing you again at Stampex.

Here's a list of the dealers (a couple of late confirmations which is why the booth numbers are pending)

http://www.sescal.org/dealers.php

And a link to Schuyler's two auctions at the show:

http://www.rumseyauctions.com/

Steve Taylor

https://stephentaylor.co.uk

Valued Member
United Kingdom
33 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Sescal dealer list has just been updated (and now showing the revised booth numbers)

http://www.sescal.org/dealers.php

Show entry is free and Convention Center parking is $8 per day (special show rate reduced from the usual $10 per day)

Steve
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As long as it works out I will go.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 10/07/2019   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ireland2018: it took me two hours to get to SESCAL, and that was just time in the air from Denver to Ontario.

Spent all my money with just two dealers: Pat McElroy from D & P stamps for Portuguese material, and Steve Taylor, who posted above in this thread. Pat had all sorts of goodies including the hard to find Timor RA 24, and she also had the 1939 World's Fair overprint on a Mozambique air mail. Picked up some good Macau and St. Thomas & Prince, in addition.

Steve had five goodies, three of which I'll identify, which are now home with me. Letters mailed in 1909 and 1913 to the US from the US post office in Shanghai. A real interesting cover from 1910 was posted from Philadelphia to a missionary in Benguela, Angola. He couldn't be found and the letter ended up in the Dead Letter Office. It was eventually returned to Philly via Lisbon with good cancels on both sides, and the pointing finger to "return to sender.".
Edited by Climber Steve - 10/07/2019 2:58 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05