Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identification Of 1c, 3c, 5c Postal Stationery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Germany
1297 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamperix to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have these three cut squares in my collection for some time and I am not sure about them.

1c:
the paper is green, but it should be blue, so I guess this is a "greenish" blue?

3c:
I thought this would be white war paper, but for die 146(H) this would be too late? So is this just white paper?

5c:
the indicium is black if you look at it like this. Also under magnification (120x) it's hard to find any blue in it. Is there a dark blue or blackish blue variety possible for this stamp?

Thank you for your help.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
516 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 cent green on blue: this is one of the typical shades of blue paper.

3 cent purple on white: yes, this is just white.

5 cent dark blue on white: a fine example of dark blue. Using a color picker, a sample from your 5 cent circ yields RGB of 43,45,58. Black would be 0,0,0.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1297 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much. I did not know that the blue paper is actually green sometimes :). But it's indeed very often not really blue either.

About the 5c: Yes, I mentioned that it "looks" like black, of course there are many black colors that are made not only out of "real" black. There are color books which are full of different blacks. I showed this item as in Scott and in the UPSS catalogue there is no listing for a "dark blue" or "blackish blue" which would describe well the indicium above, but only know "blue" listings which is not really a match. That would be interesting to get a color variety into any catalogue or to look for other similar 5c examples.

I don't have enough reference material but it would be also very interesting to look at the real black color like U441 or U442 under high magnification if there are some other ink parts which are not black and then compare to the (very) dark blue of the 5c.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1142 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not realy bluish green, stamperix.

Because the imprint is green, your mind sees green in the blue paper it is printed on. Consider this an example of where the brain is trying impose a certain order on what it is interpreting which is erroneous and caused by the two colors blending in your mind's eye to create the illusion of bluish green.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05