Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us 488 Pair On Cover Cut In Half?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
13 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dcacjh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a real interesting find.
Definitely a rotary, perf 10, type III.
Don't know what the reasoning would be behind this.
Anyone out there that can help me?

Thanks in advance
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7167 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   4:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It came from a badly aligned coil dispensing (affixing) machine.
Don

Images from John Becker

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it did; makes for a nice cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
702 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have not seen that device before. Obviously a dispensing device or self applicator, for buisness or at P.O?
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/17/2019 8:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
993 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple; the bottom one is a bit different for a mis-registered one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never saw one as badly miscut as the bottom cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
993 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nor have I. Surprising that it made it through the mail.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
702 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, that last one almost looks like an attempt to manufacture a bisect cover.

Edit: why would that cover with Fraser on it be double rated? Overweight, oversize?
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/17/2019 9:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose it's possible it was part of a postage due group and did not get marked because it was not the top cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
993 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Fraser cover is addressed to C.W. Farles, Garvin, Oklahoma. The partial CDS showing on the right hand stamp is a Garvin, Okla. CDS. Cover doesn't appear to have been an over-weighted item, but perhaps it was...or it may have been a postage due lot? maybe because of the mis-register stamp? Just guessing on my part.....I'm off to bed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 09/17/2019   11:25 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Never saw one as badly miscut as the bottom cover.

Then you won't believe this one...

Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a 499 that I recently came into. Misperf but sort of the opposite effect.

Edited by rismoney - 09/18/2019 12:32 am
Learn More...
7167 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   02:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think everyone has one, here is mine with gripper damage.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dogfcd-Those we have probably all seen before. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like it was cut with scissors..

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
2202 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
for business or at P.O?

Affixers were owned by businesses.

The evidence of affixer miscuts/misfeeds in this era creates no surprise that many businesses soon switched to metered postage.

Quote:
why would that cover with Fraser on it be double rated? Overweight, oversize?

Without contents, I agree there is no way to tell exactly. The stamps were not consecutive from the coil - perhaps they put one stamp on each outgoing letter that day then figured out that some needed another and applied them in a second round of applications. There was no "oversize" restriction back then, only weight.

Quote:
(On the National Lamp Works cover) I suppose it's possible it was part of a postage due group and did not get marked because it was not the top cover

If due as unpaid with a return address, it would have been marked and returned to sender. Absence of any auxiliary markings would indicate a very high likelihood that it passed through the mails successfully.

Quote:
Almost looks like it was cut with scissors

No, a knife-like apparatus. Like trying to tear a phone book in half, one feathers the pages ... to knife-through a stamp the device cuts from one edge to the other (in a scissor-like motion) or from the center to both sides, rather than cutting the entire stamp height at once. It often leaves a slightly diagonal or arced cut, the same on both sides.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05