Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1890 Spring Hill Mines Nova Scotia Postmark On 1c Postal Card--need Help With Postmark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
67 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add griffbo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning,
Try as I might I just can't find this postmark. I think it,s a broken circle cancel and I can find Spring Hill postmarks, I just can't find Spring Hill Mines postmark. Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
David

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2202 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank Campbell's " Canada Post Offices 1755/1895" lists Spring Hill Mines 1873/1894 and illustrates a tracing of the same device as yours but dated Nov 20, 1893.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
6463 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi griffbo

This is "Spring Hill Mines" postmark..Cumberland Nova Scotia..Time span 1873-1894...Business volume at Post Office from $50.00 to $100.00 on average.

John you bugger..you beat me to it by seconds...haha
Edited by wert - 09/18/2019 2:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add griffbo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker ans wert1
Thank you both for the link and great information, it is most appreciated.
David
Pillar Of The Community
6463 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
griffbo
A little more history if you desire to have some more..
First off it looks like you have a Scott UX7b (Canada) postal Card
Below is where Spring Hill is located in Nova Scotia..Also some maps use Springhill and others Spring Hill.

Here is a map circa 1885 showing Spring Hill in Cumberland district.

Here is an old picture of Spring Hill..

Also even though the Post Office opened Feb.2.1873, it was not incorporated into the town of Spring Hill Nova Scotia until 1889.

Robert

Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add griffbo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert1, thank you for this additional information, I always wonder what the people and places were like and a visual like this is great to see.
Thanks
David
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
703 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert. The tower with the clock. Is it possible that it may be the old stone post office of the perood? Similar to what we saw built across the country in the late 1800's early 1900's.
Pillar Of The Community
2202 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, you show a map with "Spring Hill" and scenes of same, yet the OP's cancel is "Spring Hill Mines". Campbell's listing has them both open simultaneously, thus apparently different places?
Valued Member
281 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a rare squared circle for Springhill Mines, NS. They are two separate places. I'm not able to provide much more info at the moment.
Pillar Of The Community
6463 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good point John..I believe (Not 100% sure) there was a P.O. within the mining world..Have to do more research to find out for sure.

Archives Canada does not recognize a P.O. associated with the mining territory...There were 2 Springhill P.O.'s associated with this name..One was in the Government building changed to a regular P.O. in July 1874- Staff office only...The other is still up in the air to what/when/why it existed.

There are 3 offices associated with the name Spring Hill in Cumberland District...
One circa 1852
Another circa 1873
Another circa 1851
Very confusing..

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
703 Posts
Posted 09/18/2019   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After a little research I found this.

According to Lippincotts Gazetteer of the world book listing in 1880, Spring Hill Coal Mines was a post-village in Cumberland County, N.S. It was four miles from Spring Hill. It contains a church, three stores, a hotel, and seven sawmills. A company is engaged in raising coal. Population 200.
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/18/2019 11:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6463 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spring Hill Coal Mines was a post-village in Cumberland County, N.S.

Good stuff No1philatelist...I was thinking that it might be, but had no information to verify that it had it's own Postal Station..Appreciate the info for griffbo (and me)

Robert
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05