Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wurttemberg Imperf O3 Used Single Giant Margins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   03:21 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add stampCat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently found this stamp in a box of stamps from a collection I haven't looked at it over 30 years. The CV for perf stamp is low but there is a listing in Scott of o3 Imperf pair around $4000. This is a huge margined single so it couldn't be a trimmed perf stamp. Any comments on this stamp would be welcome.
Send note to Staff
Edited by stampCat7 - 09/19/2019 04:06 am

Pillar Of The Community
France
637 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a cut-out from a postal stationery cover (Sorry)

(not mine)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   04:21 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response. That is why I love this forum.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3077 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You cannot rely on the Scott catalog to give you accurate information for classic European stamps.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   2:37 pm  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
True. that is why I used this forum to help identify the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5717 Posts
Posted 09/24/2019   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Klaseboer mentions seeing a 5p violet postal stationery in this design, so while I don't have a catalogue number, I agree with vayolene.

If I recall correctly, Billig's has a somewhat specialized Württemberg listing, which I can check in a couple days.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2778 Posts
Posted 09/24/2019   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michel lists a number of official envelopes with stamps of this design.

Official envelopes "Dienstumschläge" for local authority use:

DU1 - 5 Pf violet from 1875

DU2 - 5 Pf violet from 1880 (with the value embossed)

and similar envelopes too late for the 1882 postmark here.

There were also items with stamps in the same design but with a different colour.

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5717 Posts
Posted 09/24/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been away for a long time, but nothing's changed...here's nigelc with the catalogue info...
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2778 Posts
Posted 09/25/2019   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cjd, I'm delighted to see you back!
Nigel
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 09/26/2019   03:39 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the information and comments.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5717 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to be back, nigelc, even if it won't be as frequent as before (in the near term, at least).

So Billig seems to give a little more information (Handbook Vol. VII), none of which will be relevant to this item. Imperfs (unwatermarked) are noted for Lippoldsweiler in 1890-91 and Murrhardt on 8/16/1890. (Must be a story there.) The listed values from the 70-year-old edition are stratospheric, relative to the other listings, so those must be rare items.

The above item is postmarked at Kirchheim unter Teck in 1882, so neither of those apply. Plus, it just looks like an envelope cutout. I'd certainly keep it, though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3077 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a cutout from either Michel DU 1 (1875), or more probably DU 2 (1880). DU = Dienstumschlaege/official service envelopes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5717 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The embossed value of DU2 noted by nigelc should be pretty-instantly observable with the piece in hand.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05