Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stanley Gibbons Does It Again

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1643 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jkelley01938 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Stanley Gibbons is but a shadow of what it used to be. I just ordered a Machin Gauge last week from Michael Kay last week. Yesterday, I was refunded my money with a note stating that Stanley Gibbons, sole maker of this gauge, no longer makes them.

If anybody has one and wishes to part with it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jack Kelley
Send note to Staff
Edited by jkelley01938 - 09/19/2019 12:45 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2517 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the purpose of the guage?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6491 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no such thing as a guage ?

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 09/19/2019 5:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3075 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please, let's not be pedantic. It is a simple misspelling.

The spelling of the word "guard" is the villain for English speakers. It doesn't fit in, phonetically, and causes confusion beyond itself.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/19/2019 7:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1643 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore,

The purpose of the gauge is to measure the numerals which, on most Machins, are on the lower left corner of the stamp. Number placement and size can vary depending on the stamp. I don't know why SG stopped making the gauge.

Jack
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2517 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I would be interested in something like that.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1643 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore,

Google "Michael Kay" to see a picture and description.

Jack
Valued Member
United Kingdom
45 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikyh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm probably similar to most members here and have never heard of a machin gauge. Googling found only 1 reference at Michael Kay and as stated on their website it is not now produced by Stanley Gibbons.

It's basically a 10x magnifying glass with a metric rular and whilst it was initially designed for machins it can be used for any stamp.

Stanley Gibbons are in big trouble because of the previous management. This is slowly being changed by the new management and if they do survive it will take a while. Their latest results are now out and losses are reduced and there is some hope they will survive though this has not yet been reflected in the share price.

Typical for any company in this situation they have to look at the range of stock they supply. This has been substantially streamlined included the chop for the 'machin gauge'.

I'm sure you will get over this but if it is that important an item for philately, that warrants such a thread title, why hasn't an American company produced something similar?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1303 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure "but a shadow of what it used to be" is fair. SG recently did a comprehensive rebranding and website update, and its GB and Commonwealth stock continues to impress and is maintained at the highest levels of quality and often scarcity. Companies sunset products all the time; maybe you should contact their people and ask why they dropped this one, or whether the relevant IP can be licensed so someone else could make it. They're pretty responsive by email.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poofo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use these:

https://www.peakoptics.com/index.ph...oducts_id=12

https://www.peakoptics.com/index.ph...oducts_id=13

Peak has several with various magnifications and measuring recitals. Amazon has a few of them. Amazon also has some cheap knock-offs.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2517 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is that simple, I have the tools for that,
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1643 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore,

Gee, I found the one I like but it costs $1700!

Jack
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05