Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Stamps - Self-adhesive Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

33 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rootiepatootie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This isn't a new thing but, ever since the self-adhesive stamps came out, in the Unitrade Canada Catalog it lists these kind of stamps in NH-VF grade, how do you get unused HN-VF when they come in booklets of at least five or more, pre adhesive. When you peel it off it's sticky ???
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
102 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have to cut them out of the booklet along with the booklet's backing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Belarus
44 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What concerns me, I try to get and keep the entire booklet (thanks gods, I am a thematic collector, though it's not that easy to find all variants of the "Olympic sports" booklets for Vancouver-2010 )
Valued Member
Canada
102 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The quarterly packs have "cut-to-shape" singles (sometimes pairs e.g. the March Flowers series) though they are considered varieties and are given a separate listing in the Unitrade catalogue.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
704 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rootiepatootie, as Pwscg stated, the die cut singles are considered a variety in unitrade, but they do make excellant singles. Generally they are the same stamps except that the die cuts continiously through the shiny booklet cover backing paper. Ocassionaly though the backing paper is not the regular "printed" booklet backing paper but just unprinted.

Some are now saving 1/2 the booklet or one pane and using the rest. This works well if the booklet is of 4 different and can be had in one side of the booklet cover. In the case of se-tennant pairs, if there are no booklet margins around the stamps it works well to use every second set and cut out a booklet margined pair, and in the case of singles, use all the ones around one and then you can cut out a nice margined single.

The quarterly die cut sets are the most econimical way to buy, as they include the souvenir sheets also, and sell for face. The die cuts also do start with a higher catalogue value which doesn't detract.
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/21/2019 10:21 pm
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rootiepatootie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pwscg - cut them out, really, first thought to this is 'How ?' you certainly can't cut around a serpentine without damaging the stamp but then, as No1philatelist reply's, yes, you can do what he suggests but that is going to be cost prohibitive, ie: in a booklet of, say, let's take booklet 2498 as case example. There are 10 stamps, 5 diff. 2 of each, which will cost you $ 6.10 plus tax, lets say $ 6.50 (at the time). Now, to get an unused single of each of the 5 stamps you need to buy 5 Booklets, 5 x 6.50 = $ 32.50. So now, each of these 5 stamps have to be worth $ 32.50, no way, that's not going to happen, at least not with me and book value for this stamp is somewhere around $ 2.00, think there's some economics problem here, That's why I asked the question to begin with.
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rootiepatootie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, had second thoughts on what I've stated about costs, in the example I gave. You only need to buy 2 of these booklets to get all 5 stamps in mint condition. But, that's still $ 13.00, $ 2.60 per stamp and in today's value, your still up the creek in costs because as I stated, the book value for this stamp is somewhere around $ 2.00
Valued Member
Canada
102 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rootiepatootoe,

No, don't try to cut along perfs, that's impossible. What you need to do is choose a corner stamp and lift up the adjoining sides of the surrounding stamps. Then cut around the corner stamp a millimeter or so away from the stamp and through the booklet backing. That gives you a pristine single to mount in your album.

Yes, it sounds like a lot of trouble and waste of a booklet. But remember that the remaining stamps in the booklet can be used for postage.
If you live outside Canada, then I would recommend you cut as many singles from that booklet as you can manage using the same method as I outlined above and then sell those singles on eBay or elsewhere to recover some costs and save other collectors from having to cut up their booklets.

Peter
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rootiepatootie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pwscg;
U'r still in the same boat, as I've mention previously. Yes, you can do what you've said but, the booklet I had mentioned, you're still using two bookets to be able to do that and using the other stamps for actual postage. Unless you do a lot of postage, and most people don't, specially so, Today. So the stamp will still cost you more than it's possible value.
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rootiepatootie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll post another question about Souvenir sheets and tearing them apart to get Mint stamps.
Valued Member
Canada
102 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rootiepatootie,

You're preaching to the choir. I don't think much of the whole thing either. But, anyone who wants mint singles (other than the quarterly pack ones) is reduced to cutting up their booklets.
When it comes to self-adhesives, I personally leave the booklet intact and display it (depending on size) in lieu of a mint single. A used single on an album page is just fine with me.

As for souvenir sheets, I don't cut those up either. But people do.

Along the same lines, the recent so-called press sheets that have stamp configurations not available in any other format (so much for the "press sheet" designation) seem to be another candidate for cutting up. See the post about the Bears issue http://goscf.com/t/68896
These press sheets are often too big to put on a regular album sheet or Vario page so people cut the rows of stamps out to be able to display them.

The whole subject is a bag of worms. Notice that hardly anyone is replying to this topic?

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
20 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, Personally I do not see any benefits to cut out booklets, souvenir sheets, press sheets or any other support to create single stamps. I consider everything as an integral part of the stamp and should never be modified. I think by doing so, you destroy its monetary value and more...its original design. Everybody's as his way of collecting, don't misunderstand me, I respect yours.
The die-cut to shape from the quarterlay pack is an aberation from my point point of view, they should not be considered as a varieties. Its like cutting stamps from FDC or removing old stamps from enveloppes, it make no sence at all.
But from another point of view, I admit that by doing this you drastically reduce the number of booklets etc. available and contribute slightly to changing their values upwards.

Pollux

ps. Leonard Cohen 2000 press sheet is quit hard to get, dont destroyed it
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 09/23/2019   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rootiepatootie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a sadder story than all of this. I have never ever tore up Booklets or Souvenir sheets. Have always wondered why people would tear up a Souvenir Sheet. Well, after eon of years, I'v finally, gotten around to organizing and cataloging all my Canadian stamp, for the past two years. In doing so, for some reason or other, sometimes I have up to 2 or 3 souvenir sheets the same. In a moment of weakness and with my Chemo Brain, I tore up a Souvenir sheet BEFORE CHECKING IT OUT !!! there didn't seem to be any obvious difference btwn. the two. Once sorting out that issue, of what I had, in there was Souvenir Sheet 2498. In this we have stamp 2498d. Now, 'd' in the yellow ink, has a spelling error. There is no mention of this in the Unitrade catalog, they just list it, seemly as plain. Well, long story short. The 2 were in fact quite different. One souvenir sheets had no yellow ink markings and the other did have. Guess which one I tore up, the one with the yellow ink. Worst thing, I'll never be able to prove it except that I do have all the stamps that were on that Souvenir sheet. Lesson learnt, NEVER AGAIN or thoroughly check tha damn thing out.
Valued Member
106 Posts
Posted 10/10/2019   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rootiepatootie

I'm not sure what you mean by the yellow ink on the souvenir sheet 2498. Are you referring to the tagging wherein the English word 'permanent is misspelled 'permanant'? If so, are you saying that you also have a souvenir sheet without tagging?

Note that the name of the bobsledder was also misspelled in the microprinting on 2498d as well as in the text at the bottom below the stamps, but that text is black. The spelling error also exists on the booklet version of the same stamp, Scott #2502, in the microprinting, the red tagging, and on the booklet cover. That error was later corrected on the booklet stamp and is listed in Unitrade as 2502a with the revised booklet being BK474A. A note following the booklet listing explains all.

I'm not aware of the bobsledder's name correction being made on the souvenir sheet or in the booklet of 30 (but I could be wrong).
Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 10/10/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
14 relies on this post and NOT one member with an AVATAR..Got to be a record..haha

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
704 Posts
Posted 10/10/2019   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, chief flyspecker. You always pick up on the different? How do you do it ?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05