Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Appeals Court Rejects USPS First Class Postage Rate Hike

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3551 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2524 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad. They need the money.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   6:13 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
13 years of idiotic medical fund prefunding mandated by Congress that no other company in the U.S. is required to do (despite the fact that the USPS is not an arm of the U.S. government and receives no funding from tax revenue for its operations), and people are surprised the USPS can't be profitable... shocked, I tell you, shocked.
Edited by revenuecollector - 09/20/2019 6:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1499 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So... all of those people that paid $.55 for a first class stamp over the last few months are going to be getting a refund check in the mail, right?

Jim
Valued Member
113 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent news for consumers! The 5c rate hike last year was too steep of an increase.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I suppose when the first class rate went from 3c to 4c (33% change), or 4c to 5c (25%) increase, they shouldn't have been able to do it....

How ridiculous.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1009 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I should dump all of my forever stamps before their value plummets.
Pillar Of The Community
640 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And yet there's a good argument to be made for having First Class rates set at easily computed numbers, by fives or tens. This helps the public to remember them and helps them pay for them, especially if they're using cash. I thought the increase to 55c made good sense for that reason, at least.

Yes, the USPS is run stupidly. But it's run by federal rules which make no sense with health benefits and pensions that make little sense. Even those old mail trucks and rundown post offices need modernizing. If the President and/or Congress really wanted to fix the problems, there'd be a postal system investigatory commission, a report about what to do, and some money spent on modernizing the system. Instead we have a "private" postal service that is badly interfered with by government. What "private" company is told it can't raise its rates because they don't have enough justification to do so? That's ridiculous.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2524 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If someone documented all the rules imposed on USPS and then put the entire business out for bid with the condition they cannot change them, I wonder if anyone would bid?
Al
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So if I mail a letter tomorrow can I use 50 cents in stamps on it instead of 55 cents?
Pillar Of The Community
640 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think so. Just because a court orders something done, it doesn't always mean it happens immediately. It has to be implemented. The rate remains 55c until, I imagine, the USPS itself lowers the rate. Whenever that will be.

The 'Forever' stamps will then be sold at the lower rate, but of course any of those stamps will meet the First Class rate no matter what it is, high or low. If you use stamps with values on them, you still need to put 55c worth of stamps on the letter until the rate is officially lowered. If you're still using up those 3c sheets of stamps you bought back in the 1950s, that will require 19 stamps! That's a lot of Statues of Liberty.

It's not easy to find reliable, up-to-date information about current first class postal rates around the world, but just as an example, China typically charges "around" 20c for a first class letter at the cheaper end of the spectrum (but wages there are pretty darn low) while I think it's Norway that has the highest first class rates in the world. The last time I looked Norway was charging nearly $1.50 to mail a first class letter. It's all those fjords they have to swim across, I imagine. So 55c doesn't seem so awful.
Edited by DrewM - 09/22/2019 5:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3551 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bottom line is that the USPS did not follow APA regulations. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The average person gets cut no slack when they do not comply with government regulations. The USPS should have done a better job. The door was left open to have a go at it again and they will.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05