Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Not To Hinge A Stamp Into An Album

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
531 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3497 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, its good to know that Ohio isn't moving.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That must have been done by a super pro back in the day.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1643 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if its peelable.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
636 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Dennison hinge so all should be well
Pillar Of The Community
United States
958 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You won't screw up the gum if you hinge the front side.
Pillar Of The Community
631 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, but probably done by a child unfamiliar with how to use hinges. I hope they eventually learned. At least it's not Scotch tape, a mistake I made many times when I was first collecting decades ago.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1004 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew, your comment dredged up some memories of my first collecting days. Don't remember the year (it too was decades ago), but my parents gave me an album & a box of worldwide stamps for Christmas. While I had expressed an interest in collecting stamps, I really didn't know what I was doing. Neither did my mother. Instead of hinges, she gave me a roll of scotch tape. I have no recollection of where or how I learned about hinges at a guess, I suspect the damage to the stamps finally became too obvious to ignore.
John
Edited by JLLebbert - 09/22/2019 07:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   08:57 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew,

My first time a neighbor collector gave me some foreign stamps and an album. I promptly went out and bought a bottle of Elmer's glue. Needless to say when I proudly showed him my accomplishment I got "educated". Not sure if we ever spoke again.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
716 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started, before I got an album, I trimmed the perfs off my stamps to make them look nicer. My uncle soon taught me the error of my ways.
Pillar Of The Community
631 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the early years of stamp collecting in the mid to late 19th century, collectors routinely glued stamps into their albums. I've seen a few of those albums, and believe me, those babies are never coming off those pages. You'd have to cut them out of the albums if you wanted to collect them.

In those days, embossed "stamped envelopes" were cut from the envelopes and trimmed right down to the edges of the stamp, making them into little circles.

Wasn't there a lady in England in the early years of stamps who bought thousands of used Penny Blacks and glued them to her bedroom wall? There sure are a lot of ways to ruin stamps, aren't there? Fortunately, young and otherwise inexperienced collectors who do these things are generally doing them to common cheap stamps no one is going to miss very much.

One reason I no longer how my cheap little beginners' "Majestic" (uh huh) stamp album was that it was so filled with sticky yellowing Scotch tape, I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. So I trashed it. I recently bought someone else's old Majestic album for a couple of bucks just so I could see what I'd started collecting with many decades ago. No Scotch tape in their album. Well, maybe in a few places.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RCsA.../s-l1600.jpg
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of great posts! Interesting reading.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My friend had some full sheets of used postage dues, some high values, and we decided it was a good idea to laminate them, along with a few other items!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3055 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch!

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
696 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bookbndrbob, your not kidding. Ouch!

I also got burned and experienced the pain of such an application on a promisary note that had a bill stamp affixed to it. Rather than just make a copy of it as requested the print shop lady took it upon herself to preserve the old document for me by yes, laminating it to preserve it.

Lesson learned. Never let them out of your possession into the hands of others without watching what they are doing to them.
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/22/2019 9:45 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05