Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Revenue Usage On 1866 Tennesee Check

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The conversation ranged from "someone with too much time on his hands" to "there really wasn't any room to do anything else". I seem to recall that I thought the latter, but I had only been collecting revenues for about 8 years at that point. October will be the 49th anniversary of the first ARA meeting I ever went to. I wish I knew where it went. :-)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4588 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   11:32 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It? You mean the 49 years?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I keep looking for them. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   08:54 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to note that Brown Brothers went through the added expense of having their own watermarked paper made.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 10/12/2019   02:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenuecollector, that adjoined second & third bill of exchange has me puzzled. I've never seen a pair attached, and clearly sent, like that. I always thought the whole point of having an original, 2nd, and 3rd copies was to send them all separately via different mail routes to ensure that at least one would arrive. Why bother to fill out two copies and send them together?

This also got me wondering about how they were taxed. You wouldn't put stamps on each one, so I'm assuming that the first one received would get the revenue stamp when it was cashed?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
656 Posts
Posted 10/12/2019   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg,

All three were subject to the tax. Original and Second were sent by separate routes, the first arrival was cashed. In the event the Original and Second did not arrive, the Third could be cashed.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 10/12/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All three were taxed? That doesn't make sense to me. I thought the intent was to tax the transaction, not just document. Only one represents a transaction.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
656 Posts
Posted 10/12/2019   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg,

May I suggest you spend some time reading Mike Mahler's seminal work on the first issue, A Catalog of Revenue Stamped Documents of the Civil War Era by Type and Tax Rate. Twenty years old and still the definitive work on understanding the documentary taxes of that era. Don't try to apply ideas that you may have formed from limited exposure to a subject. Go to the definitive source which is based on a study of the initial law and the subsequent revisions to understand the documents that we all cherish.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice -- thanks!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05