Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Bin Without Best Offer - Will Most Sellers Get Upset If I Make An Offer Anyway?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
117 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anghus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am interested in a BIN lot currently on eBay which does not have an "or best offer" option. I feel like the item is priced a little high and would like to make an offer at 80% of the asking price. My question for those of you who sell stamps on eBay is this: would a typical seller get upset or feel insulted somehow if I contacted him with such and offer? His BIN price is close to $400 and I would be offering 80% of that.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7167 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the way you word the offer is important in this situation. Perhaps something like "I am interested in your item #1234 and would be a buyer at $xxx.xx. If your current auction does not generate a sale and you would like to sell it at this price, please let me know."

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
537 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had many sellers accept offers in this exact same situation.

Joe
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
111 Posts
Posted 09/20/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An offer representing 80% of the asking price should not annoy the seller! I've made offers of as little as 30 or 40% of the asking price and -- after an item has not sold -- had those offers accepted. One seller, to whom I had written "I don't want to insult you with a low offer, but..." responded that he would never feel insulted, since "an offer is an offer." We did not make a deal in that particular instance, but we've made many others since, including several at seriously discounted prices from the original reserve or asking price. So, Anghus, go ahead and make your offer!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4588 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   08:24 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a buyer, I do this on a regular basis. I treat it a two-step process:

First, I politely ask the seller if they would be willing to entertain offers on the item. I do NOT initially include an actual offer, for three reasons: 1. I don't want to come off as abrupt or demanding if they are opposed to the concept, 2. They might come back with a number that is actually lower than what I was considering (it's happened!), and 3. Their response might provide insight as to why they are looking for a certain price point and I can tailor my offer language accordingly.

Then, if they are amenable, I make the offer, or in some cases they will modify the listing to add Best Offer.

It never hurts to ask, just prepared for the occasional negative response or lack of response, which is itself an answer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
512 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't add much to what the others have already said,
but you really don't have much to lose by asking. As Don mentioned, the way that you word it can be important.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
754 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   10:26 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't speak for all sellers. I take best offers on almost all BIN items, but if I don't I don't. I wouldn't be upset. I'd be polite. But I wouldn't take an offer either. Fixed price is fixed price. Best offer is best offer.
Valued Member
113 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would offer 50% of BIN. You never know what kind of a financial situation the seller is in and how low she/he is willing to seller an item for.

I think it would be helpful if eBay were to list the actual sold price on items that sold with Best Offer, that way a buyer could gauge in general how low a seller is willing to go on Best Offers.
Valued Member
281 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The seller listed on eBay to market the item, 80% of list price seems a serious offer to me. It's perfectly ok to state your interest, I agree with Studebaker.

Some listers avoid BIN, as there are many time-wasters who think their offer of 10-20% selling price is welcomed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   01:19 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the longer an item sits unsold the more amenable to an offer sellers tend to become, especially professional dealers who would rather have some cash than none so their stock can turn over.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
269 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you make an 80% offer the seller is unlikely to get insulted.

I disable the 'make offer' button on all my BIN listings -- I think my prices are already low.
I have had people making offers of 50% on stuff that I had listed at low prices and then I did feel insulted.
(It was some mint Canada that I was selling at well below face)
But as a seller there's not much you can do about this. Just make a mental note to have as little as possible to do with that buyer.

I think it all depends on how the seller has priced his stuff.
And whether you are going to get insulted when he ignores your email!

As a general thing, I tend to have a low opinion of people emailing me and asking for special deals. I price things at what I think they should sell at, and don't want to spend all day swapping emails with picky skinflints.

Forum Dad
USA
1472 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would offer 50% of BIN. You never know what kind of a financial situation the seller is in and how low she/he is willing to seller an item for.

If a buyer offered 50% when there is no best offer option I would block them and move on. Big waste of my time.
Valued Member
113 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Low best offers have worked for me on items that have been listed for 3+ months.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
117 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anghus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How can you tell how long an item has been listed? Can you tell if it has been relisted?
Valued Member
113 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anghus: Sort by Time: Newly Listed and then each listing will have date and time it was listed and will show from newest to oldest.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05