Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Newfoundland #191...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
50 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hab to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going through organizing Grandpa's Newfoundland collection today and came across two #191's (I believe them to not be the #190 but feel free to correct me if I am wrong) and one of them has some very obvious errors on it. I am not sure if this is noteworthy or simply a common printing issue. You will notice the line 2/3rds the way up the left side that goes right from the margin across to the caribou head as well as gaps in the ink around the antlers and in the middle of the words Newfound Postage.

Any thoughts?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1707 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#191 is correct.

Could you give us an enlargement of the left stamp? It might help better identify what's going on.

That said, the line could possibly be what's called a doctor/ductor blade flaw. The engraved printing plate is essentially scraped to get rid of excess ink but stopped or hopped to produce that line. It is not a constant flaw and can happen anywhere on a stamp; I would consider it interesting but minor. Doctor blade flaws discussed here: http://goscf.com/t/51424

The white spots are also probably inconstant. It may be due to storage with a stamp on top having its gum sticking to the face of this and pulling ink off when separated; that's damage. It could also be ink peel when the ink dried too fast in those spots and did not stick to the paper during printing.

The more significant thing is the ink spots in "LA". This might possibly be a constant variety and thus worthy of mention in some reference and possibly worth a very small premium; it might be inconstant. Stay tuned, someone may have the answer to that.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/21/2019 8:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/21/2019   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hab..Check the perforation of these stamps..Probably 12.5..but check.

hy-brasil is correct..The line is called a ductor blade flaw (commonly called doctor blade flaw)....Below is an explanation from the Elizabethan II Study Group.

This is how a ductor blade works on the printing process.

Do not see a strong resemblance to a strong re-entry...Below is your stamp on the left and Ralph's re-entry.com comparison.

,,See link to your stamp below on Ralph's web site..(it may, may, be a slight re-entry.)
https://www.re-entries.com/nfld6_19...nitives.html

WHITE SPOTS...Sometimes ink begins to solidify and ink causes white spots because of non stick application...And other causes.

Robert

https://postagestampguide.com/newfoundland
Edited by wert - 09/21/2019 9:43 pm
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a better ckoseup of the goofy one. Did a perf check and it looks to be 13.6 or very close to it. I an new to this though so take the pic as a better idea.

Thanks for the replies so far!
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab..Need perfs on the side of the stamp to..

Robert

BTW Hab...With a name like that, you better be a HABS fan...haha
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
6388 Posts

PostedToday 32 Min ago

Hab..Need perfs on the side of the stamp to..

Robert

BTW Hab...With a name like that, you better be a HABS fan...haha

I am actually a Robert as well. HAB is my great grandfather's initials which I am using in sort of tribute, no disrespect to Montreal! Lol!

Okay... I just found two more of those same 5 cent stamps except they are a bit different in colour and are perffed at 12.5 while the original odd one I posted is definitely over 13.5.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3243 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have to tread carefully with this item. It was printed by Perkins Bacons in 1932 to 1937 (Scott/Unitrade 190 and 191). It was also printed by Waterlow in 1941 to 1944 (Scott 257). There is also a Die I and Die II, depending on the height of the antler below the T of Postage. Finally, Unitrade lists several different perforation variations, including Perf 13.5, Perf 14, a special line perf 14.4, and perf 12.5.

Oh, and just for fun, this item is also known with many minor re-entries and at least one major re-entry for Unitrade 191i and 257 viii.

Good luck ...
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert..Here is some more info on perfs.

SCOTT 257 perfs.
12.5 x 12.5

SCOTT 191 perfs.
13.5 x 13.5
14.0 x 14.0
13.75 x 13.75
14.25 x 14.25

SCOTT 190
13.5 x 13.5
14.0 x 14.0
13.75 x 13.75
14.25 x 14.25

Also Imperf pair with 14.4 perf. And 14.2 x 14.2

Robert
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05