Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Unopened Covers... Is There Value To These?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
50 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hab to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found these two covers a bit ago but didn't pay to much attention to them and today I noticed they were never opened and both still have something inside them. I want so badly to see what is inside but do not want to spoil them especially if there might be some value that gets ruined by doing so.

Both of these letter are stamped with Canada Air Mail stamps stating the are of the "first official flight" with one from Great Bear Lake to RAE cancelled at Great Bear Lake on Dec 09/1932 and on the backside of the cover in RAE also Dec 09/1932, and one from Fort Resolution to Great Bear Lake cancelled in Fort Resolution on Dec 06/1932 with a stamp on the back of the cover showing Great Bear Lake on Dec 07/1932.

Can anyone advise me on these? Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4317 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   1:55 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably just a stiffener inside, so don't open them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2202 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First Flight Covers, First Day Covers, and similar philatelic souvenir covers made by collectors often have a blank stuffer card inserted into them to give some heft to better survive the mail stream. The fact that the maker did not open the covers when he received them would indicate a high likelihood of a stuffer inside. While some consider cutting the flap as damaging, I see it as the normal way to open envelopes. I would succumb to temptation and slit open one of them out of curiosity as sometimes it contains a relevant announcement flier, newspaper clipping, etc. It will not reduce the value of the cover to the vast majority of collectors.
Edited by John Becker - 09/22/2019 2:01 pm
Learn More...
7166 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   2:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sometimes remove stiffeners since many of them are an acidic nightmare and will ultimately ruin the cover. I have hundreds and hundreds of covers which have been ruined by them. Newspaper clippings will also ruin a cover.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes!! Opening them will me me nervous. If I was to do it, should I slit the top or try and open at the seal? Advice?
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Hab

That is a nice thing to do for your great grandfather Robert
Always try for stiffness on the cover..Usually letters will bend in the envelope...If it feels stiff, do like everyone says..DONT open it..Better that way.

Robert

You have Scott C3's on these covers..There is a swollen breast variety,
Would be nice for you to pick up a Unitrade Specialized Catalouge 2020 and maybe a N.S.S.C. Newfoundland Specialized Stamp Catalouge also..Lots of info in there.
Edited by wert - 09/22/2019 3:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2202 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it feels stiff, do like everyone says..DONT open it..Better that way.

I do not see where either Don or I said to leave it sealed. I will state very clearly ... I would open it.

Very easy to do with any sharp letter opener or paring knife.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3512 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An exacto knife works wonders if you take your time.
Pillar Of The Community
6462 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not see where either Don or I said to leave it sealed

Ya..My mistake

Robert..You have a couple of nice (in great shape) covers..If you try to open it to see a if it is just a stiff cardboard, you take a chance of destroying it...Another way is to hold a bright light behind it to see if you can maybe see faint writing...Even if you decide to open it just to read a letter, if it exists, there will probably be no more monitary value..Unless if came from our Prime Minister...haha

Just my opinion Robert
You decide what you want to dowith it..

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
702 Posts
Posted 09/22/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased hundreds of these First Flight Covers about 20 years ago. Some were definetly starting to tone from the content be it paper or cardboard, and some from the gum alone because of acidity or they may have been exposed to humid climate or storage where they were kept. Those were opened. Otherwise I left them alone if there was no detremental signs if there were contents inside. In my personal opinion, I find yours are extremely clean and unadulterated looking and I would tend to leave them alone.

Remarkedly there were several that had blotter cards that were used in yesteryear inside. I ended up with a couple different but nice collectable blotter cards.

I used an exacto knife and slowly slit it open on the short side of the cover. You would never even know they had been opened because of the clean straight cut it makes.
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/22/2019 8:52 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05