Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Russia 1917 Lozenges Of Varnish?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know the issue of 1909-12 includes values that do not have the usual lozenges of varnish on the face. Does that also apply to the issues of 1917, such as this one?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely on the perfed ruble values, according to Michel and from what I've seen.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/28/2019 10:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Thought so, but wanted to be sure. Need also to obtain a copy (or copies) of Michel for classics, world-wide. How current an edition would you recommend?
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For Russia, for instance, or for Europe generally, how recent a copy (or copies)?
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think mine are from the late 90s and early 2000s. There a bunch of volumes needed so I figured it was best to just fill them in piecemeal with volumes in the 10-15 year old range and haven't seen a need to upgrade any yet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously, the older the catalogs that you can get, the cheaper they will be, so it will depend on how much you want to spend. Expect sticker shock for more current ones. Their Europe classic volume runs 1840 to 1900 only. In recent years, Russia, with separated Soviet Union issues, is (still) in the Eastern Europe volume. Europe is now in 8 volumes not including Germany which is in 2 volumes.

Like Scott, the volume sizes have been pumped up by recent issues. If someone has any comments about if classic issues are treated better or differently than before, a post would be appreciated. Pricing has changed, of course, but I believe Michel prices are still highly inflated.
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/29/2019 01:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2371 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find this online cat. for Russia perfect.(Maybe you have it already ?)
http://skandinav.eu/page23.htm
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you all. Hy-brasil gives a good view of the terrain ahead, where cost will oblige me to follow billsey's approach. Don't read Russian, yet perf12's Scandinavian site for Russia is clearly worth exploring nonetheless.

Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just found that Perf12's site for Russia includes English text as well. Great!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05