Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Do I Sell A "City Cart"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 897Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jefffive to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not a stamp collector (just a junk dealer) but I have acquired a "city cart" that appears to be fairly rare in private hands, the Postal Museum has one on display and got a mate to mine from the Sarasota Post Office at the same time I got this one. Was used up through the 70's (?) for walking routes that had too much volume to carry in a bag, two bicycle wheels, kinda like the old ice cream carts.

What auction house should I consign this thing to?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The challenge of selling large, heavy 3-D items is the crating and shipping charges often exceed the value of the item. I cannot see any of the philatelic auction houses accepting a lot like this. As an example, most of large and heavy furniture on eBay is "local pickup only" to avoid the crating/shipping logistics and expenses, however that also limits the audience.

That said, I do collect some 3-D postal items and would enjoy seeing a picture of the cart. I agree that the supply side may be fairly modest, but demand is also slim for such a specialty item. Most spouses would object to it appearing in the living room!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jefffive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in Florida, it's in Tennessee, but I'll get some pictures.

Seems like it would be perfect for a stamp dealer to roll his inventory into shows in...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rasdale Auctions outside of Chicago might take it on consignment. However, the winning bidder probably would be expected to pick it up at their office, which will limit the potential number of bidders.

John Becker wrote: "most spouses would object to it appearing in the living room." Easy solution to that, for us unmarried guys.........no spouse.
Edited by Climber Steve - 09/30/2019 9:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jefffive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is the one in the Postal Museum, mine has regular bike wheels and a squeeze brake.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its pretty cool. It would be pricey to ship.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jefffive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought it at an auction in Sarasota, Fl. Couple days later I bought a Postal Service minivan in Kansas City, was going to Pensacola anyway so I drove the van to Sarasota to get it
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jefffive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, if anybody needs to get bulky stuff shipped if you can get it strapped to a pallet and arrange a loading dock at each end you can get it moved FAR cheaper than you would think at Uship.com. I used to buy government surplus, ended up with about 5 tractor/trailer loads, got it 1 to 4 pallets at a time from Columbus, Oh and Oklahoma City to halfway between Nashville and Memphis, once got 3 pallets from Columbus for $125.
Valued Member
Learn More...
241 Posts
Posted 10/02/2019   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jefffive, are you located in Sarasota?
Learn More...
8270 Posts
Posted 10/02/2019   5:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note forum rules regarding buying/selling of items here. Please also note there may be little patience if folks try to circumvent this rule.
Don
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jefffive to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy,
No, Tennessee.

Mr. Studebaker,

I have made no attempt to sell anything here, was merely asking for advice about what auction houses would be best suited to handle the cart. I wouldn't have any idea how to price it since I can find no record of any changing hands, thus the auction.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1022 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you figure out what you want for it:

Nashville Flea Market at the Fair Grounds for the remained of 2019:
If you want to bring it you'll probably find a buyer.

Oct. 25-27
Nov. 22-24
Dec. 20-22
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
378 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with flea market. Someone will buy it, and repurpose as a coffee table or bar cart.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4963 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, "upcycling", where the talentless produce tat for the tasteless.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 897Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05