Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 Liberty Stamp, Scott 2224, Color Differences

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 828Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
Posted 10/02/2019   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Germania to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Approximately 2 weeks ago in this thread: http://goscf.com/t/69524
I noted that the Liberty joint issue with France showed two different color blues even though the inks were identical. These are the two stamps from my collection:

I had stated that the difference in color was due to press pressure. Not quite right. The difference is due to how the plate was wiped. Here is the explanation by Fred Boughner in his book "Linn's U.S. Stamp Yearbook 1986":

Color is not easy.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 10/02/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3597 Posts
Posted 10/02/2019   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Despite seeing an explanation in-print, I am suspect that wiping differences (a physical process) can create such a color difference (a chemical composition difference) in the finished stamps. It just doesn't add up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is because of more thorough wiping done by the US D press. It is harder to see in person, but the scan above shows a bluish tinge to the background of the French stamps. I brought up/the blue in the US stamp a little and found there is even a bluish tinge to the background there. The result overlaid over the two blocks:

I think the blue matches the French issue well, as does the red. The slightly more bluish background might be responsible for a different perception of the inked colors.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/03/2019 02:47 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 828Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05