Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do I Value/Price First Day Covers

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jrc531 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
redwoodrandy:
As I recall, lots of kids did that with their baseball cards in the 50's,
and millions of dollars went click, click, click gone forever.
Respectfully submitted:
jrc531
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3791 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
7396 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
755 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jrc531 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
redwoodrandy:
lol, love it!
jrc
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27466 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ignore catalogs, ignore people who tell you what to collect, ignore people who tell how to collect.
Collect whatever you enjoy, collect in whatever way suits you. The only 'rule' is that you should be a good steward of the material you own.
Don

That should be included in our constitution........

Pillar Of The Community
United States
760 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
/s/ ikeyPikey (who prefers addressed to unaddressed, because the addressed FDCs are covers that usually traveled thru the mail, where as the "C" in "unaddressed FDC" is best read as "Cargo")

I prefer addressed FDCs, too. I especially like it when they have Registered Mail labels or destination postmarks on them, since those provide additional evidence that they actually went through the mail.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Harmer Sale 3029 The Eldon Mohler Collection of US Illustrated First Dday Covers Part 1

Lot 4642 https://hrharmer.com/en/_auctions/&...7&lotno=4642

803-34, 839-51, 1938-39 c-$5 Presidential Series, collection of over 1,000 in carton, mostly partial sets and singles, coils and electric eyes included, spotted a terrific set of c-50c Amon Carter combination covers in blocks with 4th Bureau corresponding issues, a good selection of hand-typed cachets, add-ons, hand drawn period covers, postcards and listed cachet makers; couple dozen $1-$5 values including a 832c plate block, mostly Very Fine (Estimate $2,000-3,000)

The "Start Price" (which I prefer to a silent reserve price) was U$D 1,000 before the 18% buyer's premium.

No bidders. Ouch.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who was a little surprised that no one figured that there'd be enough U$D 10-20 items to be worth the start price, but that's me)
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ajuchum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the baseball cards in the spokes is a painful memory. My 1959 Topps cards were anxiously collected, however, in those days rookies were unknown and uncared about. I specifically remember using a pink Bob Gibson rookie card in such a way because it never will be worth anything!!! Yeah....right!!!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05