Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Institution Brick & Mortar Store Closing In Massachusetts

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 2,469Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.telegram.com/news/20191...470pNgZRpZqM

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very sad. I remember it from my youth.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2859 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shame...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am ashamed to say that I never made it there. Only 75 miles away...

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read that article earlier today. Although I have spent the majority of my time on the west coast, I had heard of this store often when I was young. It is a shame all the brick and mortars are disappearing. The last one I was able to visit was in Palo Alto probably 17 years ago, long since gone.

Ken
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard about it earlier today, it's a shame.
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very sad.

Quote:
Shame...

Quote:
It is a shame

Quote:
it's a shame.
C'mon, people! We have the internet now! Any one of the brick and mortars that used to exist in my town would have had approximately 0% of what you can get online.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
C'mon, people! We have the internet now! Any one of the brick and mortars that used to exist in my town would have had approximately 0% of what you can get online.

That may be mostly true, but there's something to be said for the personal connection that comes with a brick and mortar shop. Also, being able to see what one is buying is kinda nice, even more so for a beginning collector.

Don't get me wrong. I buy and sell on line. Its great fun and has helped the hobby flourish in many ways. It sounds as if the owner of this shop just didn't have it in him to adapt to the internet. Who knows, if he had, perhaps he could have kept going if that was really his desire?

Besides, for many of us, along with the standard starter approvals, a brick and mortar store is where we started (its a 'nostalgia thing').
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed a nostalgia thing. I grew up in Springfield Ma and in the 1950's and 1960's there were at least five stamp stores that I would visit on Saturday's. They fed my passion for stamp collecting. I would look in the cases and dream and it gave me goals. Good memories that cannot be replicated by the internet experience.

Is anybody going to look back forty or fifty years on in their life and fondly remember that neat storefront on eBay?

The polished glass of the cases, the owner chatting a young boy up about stamps and where they went to school and what they wanted to be when they grew up, those beautiful stamps just inches away, albums that you could touch and examine, that it was a warm and sunny late Spring day and life was good, the smells and sounds of a bustling city through the open door.... those things are irreplaceable. Sitting in a room or in the airport staring at a picture on a screen can never be a replacement and I am thankful that I grew up in that brick and mortar world.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the internet is amazing. The amount of knowledge at ones fingertips is astounding for one thing as is the ability to acquire stamps from just about anywhere you can imagine. It is just a different colder experience.

My final thought is about the changes in the social aspect of the collecting experience. The internet IMHO has allowed people to communicate with a far vaster and diverse group of people. The down side is that some people feel free to say things online to other folks that they would absolutely never say to them in person. I have been guilty of it myself and I have been on the receiving end. Human nature and all of that.

My Two Cents
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   11:06 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While we have forums like this that allow us to interact, I find most transactions on eBay are completely without interaction. unlike transactions that take place in a brick and mortar or at a show.
Also, at some B&M you could pick thru a remaindered album and buy cheap stamps cheap - not exactly possible on eBay.
Pillar Of The Community
1028 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the best things about old stamp stores was serendipity. Like old book stores, you often ran across the unexpected, seeing things you hadn't been looking for and didn't even know existed. Plus the human touch, of course, talking to actual people, shaking their hand, hearing a joke, hearing other people talking about what you liked. The internet is amazing, but it's sterile as hell. We might as well all lock ourselves in our rooms and stare at screens all day.

I used to go to even modest stamp stores. They had stamps, didn't they? I'd always find something to buy and feel good about spending time in a store with people who liked what I liked, and even the ones with cranky owners would sell stamps to a kid with a couple of dollars.

When I was traveling, especially overseas, I always made a beeline for any stamp store I could find. They understood my addiction. We spoke one language even if we didn't actually speak the same language. Hand gestures and a smile work fine. I once spent two or three hours in a nice old stamp shop in Rome communicating in "stamp language". I spoke no Italian and he spoke no English, but we understood each other. I got some nice stamps, and he made a little money. Brussels in the 1970s had stamp stores I visited. One of them, Willy Balasse, had me on their mailing list for years. London had a few nice old crowded stamp shops. In Vera Trinder's shop (now gone) I once got a nice lecture about little-known stamp album options they could provide that weren't in their catalog -- different kinds of paper, different binders, not quite special order but just different. At one time, New York City had dozens of stamp shops, some very tiny, a counter and a couple of stools. Each had crowded window displays of stamps, albums and covers to tempt you. Inside was a small stamp refuge from all the noise and chaos outside. Since only collectors came in, it was like a private stamp club where you browsed while the rest of the world rushed by outside.

There are still some stamp shops in Paris. There's even an outdoor stamp market in Paris on a sidewalk next to a park along the Champs Elysee. It's held a couple days a week, rain or shine. It's there because of a clause in the original grant of park land when it was given to the city of Paris which requires that a stamp bourse be perpetually allowed there or the city loses the park. You have to like that. I guess the rich donor collected stamps and liked outdoor stamp bourses. Good for him. I went one grey Sunday afternoon when rain started to pour down. But each dealer had a sturdy canvas awning and clear plastic walls to keep the rain out, and no one seemed to be bothered by the weather. So I stood under the awning in the rain and bought lots of stamps from a few dealers, "chatting" very pleasantly in stamp language and fractured French. It was the best afternoon of the trip even if my shoes did get wet and even if indoors with a real roof would have been safer for the stamps (all of which survived just fine in my plastic bags).

Shopping in front of a computer screen is amazing and remarkable, but I'll take a stamp shop or an outdoor bourse any day.
Edited by DrewM - 10/04/2019 02:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   10:38 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I grew up in London because my Dad, GM The Plaza Hotel in NYC, got transferred to be GM of the Carlton Tower Hotel in Knightsbridge. Our flat was next to the hotel, and all I had to do was roll out the door and walk a couple of blocks up Sloane Street and I'd be sitting on one of the stools at John Lawson's counter looking through his offerings. I was a young kid, and Mr. Lawson, who always had a Schimmelpfennig Vada cigar hanging out of his mouth, couldn't have been more kind to this budding collector. I still have all the albums I bought from him back then (late 1960's - early 1970's) and my first Penny Black (4 margins) that he gifted me one Christmas. I spent every free moment I had there (except when I'd be riding the tube around London visiting other shops) and it was a place I could just go to hang out and talk stamps, even if I wasn't buying on that particular day because my allowance for the week had already been spent. Try doing anything like this on the internet! This is exactly why the regulars at the Lincoln shop are so distraught...this was their version of Spanky's clubhouse where they could go to escape the world, talk stamps, and have some coffee and donuts with their friends...
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I could just go to hang out and talk stamps, even if I wasn't buying on that particular day because my allowance for the week had already been spent. Try doing anything like this on the internet!...

Isn't this what we do here at the SCF? It may even be better since you do not have to wait for SCF to open its doors each day!

Don
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, there are no B&M stamp shops in Denver. The last one closed nearly two years ago. There is one in the last city I lived in, San Antonio (Texas), and I still buy from there albeit viewing stamps by email and buying over the phone. I also grew up in the B&M age, visiting stores throughout Southern California in the 1970s and have many fond memories.

I'm glad that we have the modern conveniences of eBay and SCF as I believe that they are the glue of our small stamp family. The selection of stamps available online, the balance of pricing, the expertise of hundreds (or thousands) of collectors are amazing. I still miss the human contact. Stamp collecting for many (if not most) is a solitary hobby. The modern collector has so much more available to them in terms of stock and knowledge in the Internet Age.

Speaking only for myself, the evolution of stamp collecting and the direction its taken in the last 50 years, is one of the few things I still love and appreciate.
Member APS #174069, PNC3 #2386, AFDCS #29532O, PSS #8418
Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)
Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster
Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All true about the internet and evolution of stamp collecting. But count me among those who would love to have a B&M stamp and coin store nearby. For all the reasons people have listed in this thread. They added a lot to our hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Isn't this what we do here at the SCF? It may even be better since you do not have to wait for SCF to open its doors each day!

Also quite true up to point, but it still isn't human-to-human-in-your-face contact Now being handicapped, I likely won't be getting to any more shows so I'll miss out there, too (although I may take a swipe at Hartford next year...we'll see). But, I'll tell ya what, you write the code so SCF can send a donut (I prefer jelly) and a steaming hot cup of coffee (light, no sugar) through my laptop to help create that ole tyme stamp store feeling, and I'll become a true believer !

George

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 2,469Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05