Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Postmarks

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,352Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 10/05/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jst375 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought these postmarks were interesting.
Panama California exposition is especially interesting

What's with the upside down date on the other one(also post office no longer exists)

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2475 Posts
Posted 10/05/2019   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's with the upside down date on the other one(also post office no longer exists)

Postmaster put the date slug back in the Forks of the Eklhorn circle date stamp on the morning of Jun 5 1912 would be my first guess.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 10/06/2019   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome to this board. The date slugs for this 4 - bar duplex hand cancel device could be easily inadvertently put in upside down. Your cancel is an example of this error. The Panama Exposition cancel is an example of a cancel made by a machine designed to cancel a stack of many covers automatically at the push of a button. Both are interesting to collect. You should have no problem finding information on the web about many aspects of collecting each.

Whatever your collecting interest are enjoy our hobby.
Edited by hoosierboy - 10/06/2019 4:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1071 Posts
Posted 10/07/2019   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Panama California exposition machine applied cancellation was created to be used in advance of the exposition and during it for the purpose of advertising it to get people to come. I do not know the exact dates it was used, but it was for a while and you see this and similar advertising machine cancels on mail from that time period. It is interesting but not rare.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
992 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little background on the Panama-California Exposition: It was planned for 1915 in San Diego, then San Francisco decided they wanted to host the Panama Pacific Exposition that year. San Diego refused to back down, so there were two World's Fairs that year. But attendance in San Diego was low, so they decided to extend the Panama-California Exposition for another year.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
I've been grabbing & piling ("collecting" would be too grand a word) the exhibition promotion slogan cancels of that era.

If memory serves, I've found them as early as 1913, and from as far away as Seattle.

Q/ Is there a geographic census for slogan cancels?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
992 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful Ikey -- the Great Stack may someday tip over and bury you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey Pikey, do you have the Luff machine slogan book? If not:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt...w=1up&seq=22
This is a 1950 edition; the last was released sometime in the mid to late 1970s, I think. I also think I recall the later editions had more info and were organized better/differently with pricing or ratings. Elsewhere, I've only seen pricing and not population estimates or ratings, and then only for the scarce to rare ones. The flag cancel book by Langford is comprehensive for the slogans of that type and does have prices for the better ones (old prices, the last edition was c.1980). He does have an arcane grading and pricing system for flag cancels that nobody used.

I don't know if it's only the major expositions you like. Certainly the slogan cancel for the Elks Street Fair in Oakland CA (1902) has a certain charm, as does this: http://goscf.com/t/54584

Edited by hy-brasil - 11/10/2019 04:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brasil: Thanks. Comically enough, I posted that same Luff Link last year:

http://goscf.com/t/62377#539994

I then ordered the Print-on-Demand copy available thru AbeBooks.

Perhaps the cobbler should be checking his shoes?

Q/ Does Geographic Census of the Great Exhibition Slogans have potential as an exhibit topic?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Edited by ikeyPikey - 11/10/2019 09:33 am
Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   09:41 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or you can download the searchable book on Stamp Smarter (the Hathi trust copy does not allow downloading the entire book at once) http://stampsmarter.com/Learning/Home_USID.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2930 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://machinecancel.org/booklist_2016_05.pdf
links to the publication list of the Machine Cancel Society which includes Bomar's "Postal Markings of US Expositions". Highly recommended if one is going anywhere past the bare basics of Luff's volume.

There is also a "Slogan Cancels, 1899-1940" volume which I thought was published by the MCS, but it may have only gotten to the proofing stage as my unbound copy dated 1996 does not contain any introductory material, etc. It goes well beyond Luff for the early material to list city-by-city and machine-by-machine for each slogan with known date ranges.

Beyond the MCS's publication list, I know of no particular compilation or sorting by any subset of US geography except for the occasional state list by the respective postal history societies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey Pikey, sorry about that. Us geezer book hoarders have 2-3 editions of Luff sitting somewhere. Mine are likely in the storage unit being chewed on by bugs, no doubt.

Quote:
/ Does Geographic Census of the Great Exhibition Slogans have potential as an exhibit topic?

Sure, but formal or informal? For an exhibit in competition, you'd probably want to limit it to one exposition; there's a lot of territory to cover in any sense. Plus I'd want to include a lot of supplemental stuff like photos and postcard view sides, but that's frowned upon. Informally, you can do what you like and make it more interesting to the general public. Clearly, I'd want to see it.

A word about MCS. It appears to be another hobby organization that does not use the modern tools it has been given. That's irritatingly common in philately and elsewhere. I inquired about new membership (and whether I could pay 2-3 years in advance) and two months later, I got a reply to the effect that "gee, we don't check emails much" and no answer to my question. So, no membership for me.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/10/2019 3:15 pm
Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   3:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is my opinion that a lot of philatelic specialty societies websites do not cater to hobbyists who might only have a casual interest.

They tend to expect hobbyists to fork over money to join to be able to access information, often even the basic info, on the specialty. In my opinion these groups should visit their websites as a casual hobbyist would; like someone who might have a few items in their procession which fit the specialty and have only a passing interest in learning more. The objective should be to stroke and fan that casual interest including giving them the basic info and 'How To's' of the specialty. Get them excited the specialty, do not get them thinking that the site only exists as a way to get them to pay for a membership. Turn that collector who only has a few of the specialty items into a collector that has a lot of those specialty items. Once a collector invests in more in the specialty items, spending money on a specialty membership becomes much more feasible. They are then also more likely to invest in costly reference books.

All of philately needs to be informationally competitive in the digital world of today and the future, specialty philatelic groups even more so. Simply publishing a site presence with a mission statement and a membership application is not going to entice many hobbyists. The opening page of a specialty group is like a cover on a magazine; you want to person to be attracted to it, want them to open the magazine, them want to want to see more.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
... Perhaps the cobbler should be checking his shoes? ...

Ikey Pikey, sorry about that.

Goodness, hy-brasil, I meant me, not you!

I had the link and I had the book and still I did not think to, like, look.

Hoping we're good,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2930 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was not my intent that everyone jump all over the Machine Cancel Society and grind it into the ground. I must push back a bit.

The fact is that the MCS has amassed a most incredible amount of data over many decades from their volunteer members. Much of it published when the internet was in its infancy. Much of it so complete that it needs no updating. Yes, it's mostly printed rather than electronic. So is stamp collecting. I just don't get the contradiction of more and more collectors who collect paper objects, but demand all of the literature must be online AND free.

And about the "costly reference books", I would challenge any collector to even start to collect the original philatelic material in a specialty field. Can a field be completed for the cost of a book at $30 or $40? Books are so inexpensive when compared to the cost to amass the original data. Does an author or their related society have an obligation to release their life's work for free?

Ease up a bit and go with the flow (Advice I should take too!). Societies are run by unpaid and unappreciated volunteers. Thank them instead of trashing them. You'll get a lot more in return.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
iKey Pikey, all is good, as ever. Welcome to my world, the land of references that I vaguely remember and it turns out I have.

John Becker, somebody developed the site for MCS, giving them a highly useful tool, both for communicating with collectors or disseminating information, which I would gladly pay for if they would let me. Don't care to use email? Post that inquiries should be made by snail mail and request a return envelope. No response to my query implies that MCS is a private club nowadays.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,352Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05