Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Postmarks

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,696Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
10539 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   08:22 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just don't get the contradiction of more and more collectors who collect paper objects, but demand all of the literature must be online AND free. Does an author or their related society have an obligation to release their life's work for free?

John,
Absurdum ad hominem does not fly with me; in no way did I advocate giving away everything for free. The point of my post was that philatelic sites have to be informationally competitive and should visit their sites from the perspective of a casual collector (as opposed to someone who is already a serious collector in the specialty). I repeated several times that they should be using the site as a way to generate new interest with casual collectors.

As a person who has donated more than 1500+ man hours per year over the last 6 years I also found your post demoralizing. I am currently busting my butt digitalizing 50 years of La Posta to make it freely available to all. This is not done as an 'obligation' but rather to help our hobby and generate new interest in postal history. By increasing awareness in postal history the hope is that it will also increase paying subscribers. Do you feel that this is not a feasible expectation?

I also view this free community as a great way to increase awareness and interest in our hobby. And rather than charge for memberships the approach is to generate traffic which in turn opens up alternative income via banners, affiliate links, and donations. Do you feel that this has not been a feasible approach?

In my opinion it is important for philately to transition to new profit centers while being informationally competitive. This does not mean 'giving away the farm' but it does mean that you have to turn traffic into income.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4352 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, You've missed much of my point. Sorry for that. I don't have time to create a lengthy clarification and explanation. Too many other places and organizations demand my free time this week. There is a place for both paper and digital and I appreciate your efforts. -John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,696Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05