Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With 1970s US Stamps With No Gum

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,123Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
349 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.csmonitor.com/1988/0607/apost.html

Could these have been laundered? I learned an inexpensive lesson and am never going to purchase mint no gum stamps again because of the unknown factors. I am not going to use these and will most likely shred them.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6519 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, a 31 year old newspaper article.

From the looks of the surfaces of those 13c stamps, IMO it is very unlikely that they have been chemically cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usmedalman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting thread to me because I am cleaning up my much neglected All American album which I haven't looked at much in the last 30 years. Several of my stamp holders on my unused stamps had come loose as have many of the hinges on my used stamps. All the material was put in the album between 1968 and 1976. After taking the unused stamps out of their old holders I have noticed many of the 60s and 70s stamps lack glue. For the life of me I cannot figure this out as they would have all been purchased new, since the only stamps I bought from the local stamp and coin store were older issues from the 40s and 50s.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6519 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Usmedalman, it could very easily be that the stamps which appear not to have gum are gummed with modern PVA gum which is dull (invisible) and makes the stamp look ungummed.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usmedalman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbnbrbob, thanks for the tip. I will check that out.
Valued Member
349 Posts
Posted 02/29/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all your responses to this thread I started a few months ago. Is there a definitive way to tell if stamps that are advertised as "no gum" have been chemically laundered or not? I wonder what happened criminally to those who used stamps purchased from the person in the article below?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...ted-17151894

I still see sold listings for unused stamps with no gum advertised on eBay. I guess people inherently believe what has been stated by many on here, that such listings are for unused stamps that have been stored in a humid climate and got stuck and were soaked and dried to unstick them.

Valued Member
349 Posts
Posted 02/29/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another up close picture of the energy stamp and the back. Is the vertical black line a cancellation mark?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 02/29/2020   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Buy yourself a glue stick and start using them for postage.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 03/01/2020   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The faint black lines show up on many of the issues of the late 1970's and are a side effect of the printing process. Other colors sometimes leave lines and smears as well. The ungummed postage is perfectly valid for postage and easily used with a glue stick. Many dealers and collectors use up ungummed postage as an inexpensive mailing option, just a little inconvenient.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,123Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05