Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

When To Expertize - What's A Good Reason?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 10/07/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some specimens are worthy of expertization; others - not so much.

I welcome your thoughts on if and when an expert certificate of authenicity should be obtained. What are your criteria?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3243 Posts
Posted 10/07/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When it is a expensive item that is frequently a forgery victim.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3522 Posts
Posted 10/07/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me it is for items that are identity dependent upon watermarks, color(s), paper type, perforation rates as well as identifying issues such as reperfing, regumming, repairs, cleaned cancels etc.. It also enhances the salability of the item to have a clean fresh cert. The price point at which to start getting certs is a personal decision but I will say that a perfectly centered and fault free $100 cv stamp that could have a market potential of becoming a multi-hundred dollar stamp if graded and certed is worth the effort and cost. In general similar stamps of the same catalog number that I have sold with a certificate realize more then what I realize for the non-certified stamp to the point where the cost of the cert is covered and then some.

One thing to keep in mind is that you are internet bargain hunting and think that you scored that $5000 cv stamp for $250 and you will get it certed and enjoy the windfall you will be sorely disappointed and will be throwing certification money away.

Start with something good in the first place. In stamps more so then most things you get what you pay for.

I see lots of stamps in the marketplace and even shown on this forum occasionally that are misidentified by their owner and it is almost exclusively a case of the stamp actually being a much lower value similar stamp.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 10/08/2019   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a thread on this topic recently that may be helpful:
http://goscf.com/t/68184
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05