Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Abn#xxxxxxxxxx Code:paid Added To Australia Addresses By Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1268 Posts
Posted 10/07/2019   9:51 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add cfrphoto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The ABN#xxxxxxxxxxxx Code:PAID added to eBay addresses in Australia is reportedly for the purpose of marking parcels with GST tax paid. Initially, sellers were required to manually add the ABN number.

Until the change, the impact was minimal because it was possible to send stamp by First Class Mail International, a technical violation of UPU rules banning "merchandise" from First Class mail. If a stamp must be mailed in a First Class Package the cost jumps from $1.36 for a rigid 1 ounce envelope to about $14 for a minimum weight First Class Package.

Does this mean the end of selling stamps to collectors in other countries?

According to stamps.com:

Quote:
Merchandise No Longer Allowed in First Class Mail International Flats
If you ship merchandise abroad using USPS First Class Mail International Flats, there's a new rule going into effect soon that you need to know about. Effective Sunday, January 21, 2018, First Class Mail International Large Envelope/Flat service for merchandise will NO LONGER be available from the USPS. First Class Mail International Flats will only be approved for use when sending documents. This change is occurring to comply with Universal Postal Union requirements.

Here are some examples of what USPS considers a document (still OK to ship using First Class Mail International Flats):

Audit and business records
Personal correspondence
Circulars
Pamphlets
Advertisements
Written instruments not intended to be resold
Money orders, checks, and similar items that cannot be negotiated or converted into cash without forgery.
Here are examples of items that will NO LONGER be allowed to be shipped as First Class Mail International Flats, effective Jan. 21, 2018:

CDs, DVDs, flash drives, video and cassette tapes, and other digital and electronic storage media (regardless of whether they are blank or contain electronic documents or other prerecorded media)
Artwork
Collector or antique document items
Books
Periodicals
Printed music
Printed educational or test material
Player piano rolls
Commercial photographs, blueprints and engineering drawings
Film and negatives
X-rays
Separation negatives
These goods are dutiable and must be must be shipped using First Class Package International Service. Once this change goes into effect, shippers will need to include Customs Forms and the recipient could pay a duty or tax to receive the product.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4653 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   07:48 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not that I would ever advocate such a thing, but for customs purposes, stamps and covers could be classified as "very small documents".

Seriously though, the change is absolutely idiotic, and any seller obeying those rules to the letter of the law would not be able to sell any low-to-medium cost items internationally.

The USPS rates for small, light-weight items are utterly insane. I get complaints all the time from potential international buyers asking why I charge $16-18 to ship one music compact disc. I have to tell them that my cheapest cost is US$14.25 out of pocket, and then you add eBay and PayPal fees, packaging, and insurance on top that. It ends up costing 2-4 times what it costs European sellers to ship here, and roughly 10-15 times what it costs Chinese sellers, with the U.S.-subsidized rates they get.

Even without UPU issues, I can easily see a time within my lifetime when U.S. sellers that are not large corporations can no longer sell internationally.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 10/11/2019 07:49 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05