Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Washington-franklins: The Collector's Epic Challenge

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
409 Posts
Posted 10/09/2019   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have about 100 W/F plus about 20 line pairs - nowhere close to completion. All bought at auction (usual suspects - Harmer, Cherrystone, Kelleher, Siegel, etc.) with certs for any of reasonable value. I've probably paid up for many of these, but, given my standing relatively low on the learning curve with these creatures, I preferred to go this route for a reasonable level of assurance that I was getting what I was paying for.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2518 Posts
Posted 10/09/2019   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I declined the accept the challenge. Too much money and authentication required.
Al
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
Posted 10/09/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a complete collection except for some of the expensive coils and and blue papers. I may get a few more, but at this point, the only obstacle is money. Everyone gets the cheaper stamps first and then works up to the more expensive ones. There are no differences between W-F and and other stamps in how you acquire them. I used stamps2go.com for getting cheap stamps, and then moved on to eBay. At some point, eBay starts running fairly thin, and the best source for quality stamps are the auction houses (Siegel, Cherrystone, HR Harmer, Harmer-Schau, Rumsey, Kelleher) and bourse dealers. I also recommend Century Stamps for quality W-F stamps. You need certs on every single flat-plate coil, even the cheap ones, or you are sure to have fakes in your collection. W-F stamps are not hard to find - the challenge is in identifying them correctly and avoiding fakes.
Edited by Philazilla - 10/09/2019 11:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5674 Posts
Posted 10/09/2019   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a pile of these things that I just gave up on.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3522 Posts
Posted 10/09/2019   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil - Don't forget Rupp Brothers.

Would love to see your 534B if you care to share.
Edited by rogdcam - 10/09/2019 9:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
720 Posts
Posted 10/09/2019   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I declined the accept the challenge. Too much money and authentication required.

Right there with you! My album has a light dusting of cheap, used W-Fs, which I picked up years ago, but since I'm concentrating on MNH specimens for my U.S. collection nowadays, I have a sufficient task at hand just dealing with the 4th Bureau Issue (which of course I will never complete).
Edited by erilaz - 10/09/2019 10:42 pm
Valued Member
New Zealand
22 Posts
Posted 10/09/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Im new to collecting and as far as W/Fs go I have a few. And am yet to find out about one old franklin with candlestick 1 cent on it. Its a very old album gifted to me by very old people some 30 years ago (when I was just a wee thing). They knew I collected coins so they may have thought id look after them for the future. I never felt that philatelic urge until just recently when I went through some stored items id put away more than 20 years ago. Never mind the W/Fs.. One look at those first issue revenues and I came over all aflush! So my advice is, be nice to the neighbours. Spend some time and share some stories. good luck
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 10/10/2019   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poofo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

How to "complete" the WFs...

For me the greatest challenge in obtaining WFs has not been acquiring material but deciding what to acquire. That is to say, my greatest challenge has been one almost every collector must face, and that is to find a personally satisfactory definition for the word "complete". ;)

In some areas I have specialized far beyond material even covered by catalogs like Scott. For the WFs, that's not really an option for me. In fact, obtaining a sample for every major Scott Catalog number, or even having no holes in my illustrated album pages, isn't an option for me. I will simply never have a 389 for example.

How did I define "complete"? I'm a bit of a flyspecker. I also find stamp production changes and experimentation interesting. So for me, I have a few dozen pages in my US albums devoted to WFs that look something like this:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1643 Posts
Posted 10/10/2019   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto, Stallzer. Tempting though, isn't it?

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5674 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually it is. After responding to this thread earlier I decided to break them out and systematically mow through them 1 by 1. That lasted for all of about 10 stamps, then back to the pile and the memory kicked in on why I gave up on them in the first place, watermarks......
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just skip the ones with difficult watermarks. . .80% of them will be easy. It is much easier to sort them by one dimension at a time. Start obviously with denomination/design (it is very easy to waste time by overlooking the 2 Cents vs Two Cents" stamps.) Then split them up by offset vs. engraved. Then go by perforation, watermarks, then by flat plate vs. rotary, and finally by type. Have a spreadsheet with all the options close by so you can skip checking on things that don't exist (like a 3c double line / perf 11). As you check each dimension, keep a pile of "unknown" if you can't easily tell. If you have a pile of them, don't try to do them one at a time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5674 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only 2 things I find difficult are the watermarks and some of the types. Sorting by Perfs and printing process is pretty simple, the single line watermarks are what make me toss them back into the pile to figure out another day. The type that I can't figure out are used ones which have identifiers covered by postmarks / cancels.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05