Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uh OH - Confederate Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As many of you know I have this hobby/sort of business of buying albums to break down for sale. It's been a terrific way of learning and also enhancing my own collection.

I am uneducated on Confederates other than knowing that there are lots and lots of fakes. This page is from an album that appears to have been put together by someone focused on back of book issues in around 1959 (a number of notations about how much he paid that year). There's no way I can sell these with my current knowledge.

I would like to educate myself on these, and I have tried before, but it is a tough and complicated area. Should I even try - I'd like to. But maybe I'm better off just shipping them to some expertiser somewhere.

So my question is, are there any here that look like obvious fakes or look to be likely legit? That can be a starting point for my study. I won't be putting any of these up on eBay until and unless I can build up a lot more confidence than I have today.

I have a number of good internet links on the subject - but as I said, it's a deep and tough area and I am starting from ground zero so any initial guesses/clues will be appreciated. I won't take any advice as gospel, just looking for some initial reactions.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on your scan there is a good chance that all are genuine, though a little short on margins. The 2 green (Scott 3) is the most expensive stamp and from what I can see genuine. You can get some free information at csalliance.org. Older issues of the Confederate Philatelist are available to non-members. It may take some work to find the information you are looking for.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel on the 20-cent green is very unlikely to be genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   3:19 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! To have a vote of confidence from wtcrowe - I'm feeling upbeat. I will continue to my research, I know I have a lot to learn. But maybe this won't be as bad as I expected!

Dudley, any suggestion on where to look into legit cancels?

By the way, I've started a habit that whenever I sell something on eBay that I got help from on SCF, I make a donation. So thanks already, and hopefully this will work out well.
Edited by rlsny - 10/11/2019 3:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Dudley about the cancel on the 20 green. I was looking at the stamps from the viewpoint of the stamp and not the cancel. Cancels on the 2 Red Jack (Scott 8), 20 green (Scott 13) and the 1 Calhoun (Scott 14) should be looked at carefully. Especially since the 1 Calhoun was never issued and the only truly used example is a partial sheet folded into the form of an envelope.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/11/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked through the PF certified 13s and they all have cancels with town names/dates. No generic type cancels - so I'll assume the cancel on that one is fake.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6403 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree they all look pretty good with the exception of the left stamp in the second row. May be a New York counterfeit, but would need a better scan to confirm. Tried to zoom in but was iffy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are correct. I found a good description of the New York counterfeit and a key difference is the length of the middle line in the E and F. It is distinctly shorter in the counterfeit. I guess the stamp next to the one in question is supposed to be #7. From Scott it isn't clear but seems to indicate that though printed in Virginia #7 was made using the same London plates as #6. On this page it is clear that the E and F middle lines are distinctly shorter on the stamp on the left. The color is light blue, I don't really see any green in it, but given the short lines I have to assume that the stamp is a NY counterfeit. Thanks for pointing that out. It is this kind of thing that can fool the experts and I'm far from that. I'll take the safe path. Thanks.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
152 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you decide to sell these on eBay, when do you think you'll put them up? Might be a lot of interest.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   9:48 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
probably another week or two - I've got a bunch of postage due stuff coming up next, then I'll be able to put up at least the safe ones.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6403 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny, can you post a pic of that stamp, the possible NY forgery? There are a couple of tell tale signs.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go. Took it out of the mount and scanned at 4800 dpi and run through the SCF optimzer. My scanner is not color calibrated.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6403 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wow, good scan! Up close and personal.
Yes, definitely a New York counterfeit. It's not just the short stroke of the F and E that are indicators. Also the outer frame is twice the thickness of the original, and the white holes of the upper stars are smaller. And there is a telltale dot at two o'clock above the upper left star.
And even from your scan I can see the greenish blue hue of the ink.
But hey! all the rest look good right?
And I figure counterfeits are half the fun of collection CSA stamps.
Even with the counterfeit, which you should point out in your listing if you include it, I'm sure you'll still get a good price for the set. Good luck.

https://www.trishkaufmann.com/image...york.jpg.jpg
Edited by jamesw - 10/14/2019 9:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff - thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
772 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For Scott #4, the 5c blue, is this stone 2 or stone 3? From the very sharp impression I am guessing stone 3, but can anyone here be more certain? Thanks in advance.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6403 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree.
Here's an image of my Stone 2 copy. You can see how rough it is in comparison with yours, especially in the upper left corner and the P of Postage

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05