Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 37 - Compound Perforation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
46 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Lars714 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning

I understand that with pin sharpening, there are possibilities of compound perforations for older stamps. When you really think about it, compound perfs should almost be expected...

Here is an example which is 11.75 on top and bottom, 11.8 on left and 12.0 on right. Is this an anomaly?

Are compound perfs a recognized aspect of SQ collecting, or just considered an oddity?

Chris

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
6525 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
11.8 on left and 12.0 on right

To me it looks like 12 left and 12 right side..Just my opinion.
Robert

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert - thanks

It might be an optical illusion, but I still don't see an alignment. When I place the stamp next to another P12, it doesn't match. GIMP shows a measurement difference, and the trusty gauge shows a definite difference.

Thanks for the image - on the far right, the perf aligns, but on the far left (the full perf, not the rounded), they don't match.

Oh well, I'll place it in the 'to be studied' for a rainy day...

Chris
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1214 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert's comparison appears to me to show that they align at the right side (tops of the stamps), but definitely mis-aligned at the left side.

I'm not aware of any compound perfs, so suggest that its an oddity possibly caused by stretching or shrinking after printing.
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blackjag - thanks for the thoughts. Yes, an oddity, but the image is exactly the same top to bottom on each side, so paper deformation after the print would change the size of the image, as well...

Chris
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1214 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming Lars714's and wert's images are accurate interpretations of the two stamps, the top stamp is smaller than the bottom stamp evidenced by the two angled pink lines at the right.

I erroneously added two blue lines, which are now removed from this re-posted image.

Edited by BlackJag - 10/13/2019 5:58 pm
Valued Member
302 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As these were line perforated, with rare exceptions you don't see complex perfs too often.

It is best to align the bottom of perf holes, not the perf tips. Looks to me Wert is correct and that the perfs align fairly well.

You'll see a lot of bent and missing perf pins in this era, you can't just measure between points and expect accuracy; one must allow for error in gauging a perforation.
Learn More...
7303 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right side perfs digitally compared to left side perfs

Don
Learn More...
7303 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is rare that a person has scanned the stamp perfectly straight. So the first step whenever you do anything to a digital image is to check for 'straightness'. Lar's original image is titled to the left by 1/2 degree.
Here is his image showing the 1/2 degree tilt to the left (red area) and the image straightened. Note the interior bounding box now shows the stamp design straight.

Now with the stamp straight, we can use a bounding box to determine how square the perfs are, the bounding box below shows the perfs are straight and parallel.

In my opinion the left and right perfs match, all the perfs align squarely and are normal.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
to all - a BIG thank you for taking the time to analyze this stamp! Appreciate you for attempting to sort this out. I will make extra sure in the future to maintain a complete alignment on scans.

The hand held measurement still shows a difference (11.8 and 12.0), but the digital seems to show an equality on the two sides. A learning experience?

Chris
Learn More...
7303 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes you eyes can play tricks with your mind.

Ever see the moon in the sky (typically when it is close to the horizon) and it looks huge? The moon does not change size, it is just your eyes messing with your brain. The moon is always the size of an aspirin held between your thumb and finger at arms length. If you hold an aspirin up to one of the 'large' moons it will instantly 'shrink' back to the normal size.

Here is another simple example, the gray bar below is all the same color across its width. But your eyes see it as a gradient, tricking your mind.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
6525 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love that example Don..
Exact same colour.
Robert

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05