Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Shops In Naples Or Rome

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coastwatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's possible, but still uncertain, that I'll spend much of December in Italy, primarily in Naples and Rome. Does anyone know of any good (or bad) stamp shops in either city? Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
103 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 2004 there was a nice stamp shop near the Vatican Museum in Rome, on the opposite side of the street from the entrance to the museum. Enjoy your trip!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1151 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was stationed in Napoli in the 1990's, there was a stamp shop on Via Roma, near the port, in downtown Naples.

Whether it's there twenty-odd years later, I have no idea.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1237 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try this 2017 link for Rome. If it doesn't work here on SCF, I found it by doing a Google search for postage stamp dealers in Rome, Italy.

www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76500
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I visited Galleria del Francobollo maybe 10 years ago, back when it was in central Rome. The owner was friendly and spoke English. I bought a catalog many years ago at the shop on via dei Due Macelli mentioned in the post linked by Climber Steve. The Bolaffi shop is high-end material, but useful for stocking up on their Kanguro mounts that are not sold in the US.
Pillar Of The Community
649 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I visited a wonderful stamp shop in Rome maybe ten years ago called Filatelia Numismatica Centrale. It was located at the time at 106 Vie Due Macelli. But I looked it up recently, and it appears the shop may have moved to Via Catania #88 in a different neighborhood of Rome. The owner spoke no English basically, and I speak no Italian, but we got along great anyway. It's a relaxed shop where you can sit at the counter and look through books of stamps in your area of interest. I bought mainly Italy year sets since I was just starting that collection, but also purchased some other stamps. Prices are fine but not the cheapest, but a shop is always more expensive than the internet due to overhead costs and I prefer to look at the actual condition of the actual stamps I'm buying, so it's worth it to me. Definitely a nice way to spend a few hours. He also has coins, medals, you name it in his small shop.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
441 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Coastwatcher,
I don't know about Naples or Rome, but if you get to Venice while in that beautiful country you could try a place I found in June. It is in the cloisters in St Marks Square, in the bottom left corner looking up towards the cathedral. Some very nice Italian and British stamps on display, and appeared to be good quality. Not cheap obviously, and more than my holiday budget would stretch to, unfortunately.
Regards
DavidR
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2258 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few in Rome. Better_ before walking into a shop like this, is to know exactly what your looking for.Prices & cotations beforehand.An American walking in is synonym to $$ !I have bought from this guy before
on-line though.He holds yearly auctions also ,but high end material mostly.
https://www.paginegialle.it/roma-rm...e-philatelia
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4391 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   09:43 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might like to take Norman Lewis's "Naples '44" and Norman Douglas's "Siren Land" and "South Wind" to read. Can't help on shops, though.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05