Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

List Of Bureau Precancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
40 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turntostone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

As a UK collector I have just obtained an album with 2 pages of US pre-cancels.

Does any one know if there is a downloadable list if towns/states that used pre-cancels? Don't need types at this point

Thanks
Gordon
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6670 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check with www.precancels.org

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
4 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add precanceler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a PSS life member, I dont know of a FREE version but certainly as stated you can buy a downloadable version. I'd venture to guess around 40,000 or so US cities, towns etc had authority to use precancels. So your 2 pages are just a small portion of what was issued, but remember this, GENERALLY speaking, the larger the city the more they used and are very very common. If you need assistance I'll be happy to assist as I can. Happy collecting
Valued Member
United Kingdom
40 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turntostone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Precanceler.

Have been accumulating US precancels at all the stamp fairs I have been going to and now have about 1000 different from about 400'ist different cities and towns.

Would like to add more towns. Do you know of a dealer who sells common [cheap] pre-cancels and would ship to UK and accept payment by PAYPAL?

Thanks again
Gordon
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mattstef to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, 21,350 towns, as of the 8th edition of the PSS Town & Type Catalog.
But that includes name changes/spelling changes/etc. So if Lafayette officially changed to La Fayette (or vice versa), it's listed as two separate towns...
Hope that helps.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mattstef to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gordon -
Regarding your dealer question, is something like eBay item *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. *** what you are looking for?

FULL DISCLOSURE - this is an item that I am selling.

But it does seem to be what you were asking about - just don't know if this was the quantity you were looking for.

Best regards,
Matt
Valued Member
United Kingdom
40 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turntostone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Matt,

That's the sort of thing that looks ideal assuming its not 4000 New York or similar and only a few more unusual towns. If you can confirm that's its a reasonable mix will buy a lot. Can you send by USPS airmail marked as stamps for collector.
Thanks
Gordon
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   05:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mattstef to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gordon -
Yes, it is, and I can.
I apologize for rule-breaking - I was trying to answer your question.
It just happened that I was selling the item it seemed you were looking for, and tried to make that clear from the start.
If I had sent you to someone else's auction, or not noted it was my own, would that have been better?
I'm new here, and want to do things correctly. Any guidance there would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
Valued Member
United Kingdom
40 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turntostone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Matt,

Thanks for the reply. Will order a batch.
I know it just from a bulk batch but the more
different towns appreciated.

Gordon
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05