Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Error Stamp 1880's Washington Scott #211B?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EcoMech1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Stamp collection accumulated by a banker in Lancaster, KY. They were hidden in a false wall within the retired bank. These documents with stamps were bound with hemp string.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3272 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a scrape or a "plate drip". I have an example of that around here somewhere. Also, why do you assume 211B rather than the much more common 210?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Partime - 10/14/2019 11:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3272 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my plate drip.

http://goscf.com/t/38090#324818
United States
3 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EcoMech1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime, Could be a common 210 not sure how to distinguish between the two. Also, not sure if it's a plate drip due to crisp edges without ink stain inside error. Thinking it could be a foreign object between plate and stamp. There were over 600 stamps and this was the only one that had this mishap.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1792 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Could be a common 210?" It is without question a #210. There are plenty of existing discussions on SCF as to why this is not #211B. These are all archived as a resource for you and others to use.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EcoMech1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Partime for the info. I appreciate your patience with newcomers. I will look into plate drips a little more.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3272 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A plate drip is pretty interesting, and if the cost isn't too much, I would collect them just for fun. However, you could probably make your own without much effort.

As far as evaluating your stamp, the common advise is to always assume you have the least valuable version, then work from there. Doing it this way tends to ground newcomers in reality quicker than assuming the highest value, and then be told (by many) that you are wrong. Best is to say, "This looks like a 210 (the common version) but I think it may be a 211B because ..."

Keep searching that false wall. Sounds like fun!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05