Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited A Collection; Don't Know What To Do

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Danah69685 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My father passed away and I ended up with his stamp collection. He was a part time hobbyist, so I recognize that his collection is likely modest. I tried to do some research and came up with some Scott prices, but really don't know where to go from here. If the collection has some value, I'd like to sell it and give my mother the funds. If the collection doesn't have enough value to sell, I'd like to donate them or gift them to a person on entity that can enjoy them.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. Note that this is binder number 1 of 4 or 5.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6549 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the pictures but I did see some very interesting early Canal Zone. If I was you I would contact the Tampa Stamp Club and see if someone there can look at your collection and give you some idea or advice.
Contact Mr James Kauchick, *** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. ***

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
147 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting little collection. Did your father spend time in Panama? US Army perhaps, or maybe working for the Canal Commission?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6549 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc

I did not. Merely trying to help by giving the Email address of a stamp club in Florida

Peter
Learn More...
7303 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter,
Understood, the forum has a set of pre-configured message categories buttons that the Mods use. Please excuse that the message wording was slightly off.

It is against the rules to post any email address as seen here
Quote:
Please do not post email addresses. There are robots that scour the Internet for email addresses to sell to spammers. We do not want them coming here.

https://www.stampcommunity.org/rules.asp#rulesid20

Some folks do not understand the rule, incorrectly thinking that posting a commercial email address is acceptable. But keeping all email addresses off the forum helps decease the number of automated/programmable spiders and bots from infesting and crawling the community.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3752 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6549 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don, I understand and that is why I wrote "at" in the address rather than use the icon.

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
160 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danah, I am actually a member of said Tampa stamp club (Tampa collectors club;) and collect Canal Zone and the Philippines, and have most of the stamps you posted. There is some value there (nothing in the "several hundreds" or thousands,) but you do have some stamps that should sell in the $20-100 range, and quite a few in the $2-8 range. I only collect single stamps, so someone else may be able to give you a range of what you might expect on the covers (the stamps on letters, just in case you don't know that terminology.)

You'll need 50 posts in this forum to contact anyone directly, but will be glad to give you the info of the stamp club, hopefully within the criteria allowed on this forum. I'll be glad to meet you there at one of the regularly scheduled meetings; and sure there will be a few experts in other areas that may give you an idea of what else you may have.

That said, do you have any interest in continuing on the collection? You have a nice base of stamps to start a canal zone album or collection.

~Andy

United States
2 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Danah69685 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your input. I apologize for the late reply but work has been crazy lately. I'll likely reach out to the Tampa Stamp Club to see if anyone there can help. In terms of continuing the collection, I most likely will not. With 2 teenagers and my own set of hobbies, time is at a premium. However, I do appreciate the love and care that goes into creating a collection such as this, which is why I'd like to see it get to people who will appreciate it, regardless of value.

One additional unsolicited PSA: My father ultimately passed away from Alzheimer's disease, which is why the collection is not as organized as it should be. If you know anyone who collects anything and they get diagnosed with any form of disease with dementia, I strongly encourage you to talk with them, while they have capacity, about when to pass on their collection. I wish I had encouraged my Dad to sell/gift/?? the collection earlier in his disease process when it would have been in better shape.
Valued Member
Learn More...
160 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well let me know if you plan on attending one of the meetings, offer stands to help you out if possible.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05